Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top Gear - Tesla: lots more to come

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actual review here:
Tesla Roadster - Top Gear
img.jpg

That was a seriously positive blog post. Especially considering they didn't say it's an overpriced Elise. Tesla should really enjoy that, hopefully this translates to similar points made on the show.

Cobos

I don't understand all the comments about needing a noise maker and the lack of kudos for the lack of noise being a welcome feature.

I think I may want a noise maker added to mine - only, instead of a mechanical noise, I would like my car to generate some sort of music instead. Yes! that is it! If some *genius* could engineer a noise generator that output music... something I could control the volume by a knob on the dashboard. That person who invented that would be a millionaire.

Yes, it is odd how the gas cars have been getting more and more praise for all the noise improvements, and then when we have a near silent car, the tables suddenly turn. A high end Lexus or Mercedes is already near silent and an existing hazard to pedestrians.

Pedestrians have to WATCH for cars. They can't count on the noise. Plenty of pedestrians are already sound isolated with the headphones. And besides, since when does gas engine noise act as a suitable warning considering:
#1: The gas motor in many vehicles is basically idling when you slow down.
#2: The exhaust noise is directed out the back of the vehicle.
We could argue that all cars need a pedestrian warning system when braking, but this constant concern over Tesla as a pedestrian hazard seems misguided.

From the article:
"That battery pack should, incidentally, give you range of around 220 miles if you drive sensibly. Get a bit overeager with your right foot, though, and you're looking at about half that - a figure that might cause some concern considering the eight hour charge time..."

This isn't the first time we have heard something like that. It is sounding like range for enthusiastic drivers isn't going to live up to the EPA numbers.

Pedestrians have to WATCH for cars. They can't count on the noise. Plenty of pedestrians are already sound isolated with the headphones. And besides, since when does gas engine noise act as a suitable warning considering:
#1: The gas motor in many vehicles is basically idling when you slow down.
#2: The exhaust noise is directed out the back of the vehicle.
We could argue that all cars need a pedestrian warning system when braking, but this constant concern over Tesla as a pedestrian hazard seems misguided.

Exactly.

And to take this to the next logical conclusion, what really needs to happen (and I believe WILL happen) as silent EV's become more common, is that people learn to use their eyes when crossing the road. Without sounding callous, a few "misadventures" are likely going to take place to get this into the mainstream consciousness. Not just because of the Tesla, but as EV's become more and more prevalent. As just one example, before plastic bags were invented, there was no need for people to admonish their children "don't put that plastic bag over your head - you could suffocate". After plastic bags appeared, people learned (I'm sure there are numerous other examples). As more and more EV's hit the road, people will learn.

It would be a shame to ADD to the level of noise pollution already in existence by adding noise to an EV, just because it is too quiet.

From the article:
"That battery pack should, incidentally, give you range of around 220 miles if you drive sensibly. Get a bit overeager with your right foot, though, and you're looking at about half that - a figure that might cause some concern considering the eight hour charge time..."

This isn't the first time we have heard something like that. It is sounding like range for enthusiastic drivers isn't going to live up to the EPA numbers.

Yes Martin's own review showed us that and I guess it shouldn't be surprising.
I doubt the EPA tests take aggressive driving into consideration.

As just one example, before plastic bags were invented, there was no need for people to admonish their children "don't put that plastic bag over your head - you could suffocate". After plastic bags appeared, people learned (I'm sure there are numerous other examples).

I'm not sure you chose the best analogy. The "rest of the story" concerning plastic bags involves lawsuits and laws being passed, to the effect that most, if not all, plastic bags have mandated warning messages printed on them saying to keep the bag away from babies and young children. What should've been common sense got inflated by overreactive press, public, and politicians into a Big Deal.

My concern is that the same sort of knee-jerk overreaction will saddle EV owners with mobile noise generators. Certainly my reaction would be: Stupid, Stupid, Stupid! But, I've seen it happen in other cases, so I'm worried that it could come to pass for us. A couple of inattentive children run out in front of a Tesla, it's a slow news day, and - BOOM! - instant pandemonium and crisis.

From the article:

Why 8 hours? If we can do 3.5 hours here why not there?

I'm not sure you chose the best analogy. The "rest of the story" concerning plastic bags involves lawsuits and laws being passed, to the effect that most, if not all, plastic bags have mandated warning messages printed on them saying to keep the bag away from babies and young children. What should've been common sense got inflated by overreactive press, public, and politicians into a Big Deal.

My concern is that the same sort of knee-jerk overreaction will saddle EV owners with mobile noise generators. Certainly my reaction would be: Stupid, Stupid, Stupid! But, I've seen it happen in other cases, so I'm worried that it could come to pass for us. A couple of inattentive children run out in front of a Tesla, it's a slow news day, and - BOOM! - instant pandemonium and crisis.

What amount of regulation is appropriate?

They recently made it illegal to talk on a cellphone while driving around here. A new bill to disallow "texting" is in the works. What next? Shaving? Eating? Juggling?

When society develops bad habits perhaps some regulation is in order, but sometimes things get out of hand.

Perhaps causing an accident should be a criminal offense and then we should leave it up to people to use their own judgment as to what level of personal distraction is safe? Or do we want to fine people for all categorizable bad habits before they cause problems?

Sigh. This topic could probably cause endless debate.

A high end Lexus or Mercedes is already near silent and an existing hazard to pedestrians.

What someone needs to do is set up a DB meter next to these luxury cars. Does Consumer Reports, Car and Driver, R&T etc, give Decibel numbers?

A side by side is needed soon before this gets out of hand.

We need Data to fight back with!!!
(assuming it favors our argument :rolleyes:)

Pedestrians have to WATCH for cars.
My "need to look" point falls apart when you take into account blind pedestrians:

The blind and electric drive cars: Death by silent hybrid committee - AutoblogGreen
Bill would help blind be aware of hybrids - Los Angeles Times
Quiet Cars and the Pedestrian Problem Part I | Disability Nation
A silent threat
"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]...after being hit by a black Lexus, which was noisier than hybrids, she said. Still, she did not hear it coming..."
"...
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Singled out were hybrid vehicles, which run whisper-quiet at speeds lower than 34 miles per hour, though there is talk of extending research to all vehicles...."
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act
CNN Video - 8 year old hit by silent Prius
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Perhaps we need to go back to Hummers because they are easier for deaf pedestrians to see, and blind pedestrians to hear... :confused:

To be honest, I really don't know what the right answer is here. If all cars had noisemakers and flashing lights to alert pedestrians it would be a nuisance... Public services vehicles (police cars, ambulances, fire trucks, etc.) already flash lights and make noise. Should we "water that down" by having all vehicles do this to some extent?

Noise pollution is considered a hazard in its' own right. Some cities are contemplating banning all cars from downtown areas because of noise.

Hmm... Way off topic now...

[/FONT]

Last edited:
2008 Lexus LS 600h L - Sidebars - First Test - Motor Trend

"2. Advanced precollision system (APCS) with pedestrian recognition
The Mercedes CL's safety net of Pre-Safe and Distronic Plus offers similar services, but the LS 600h L's available APCS takes it a step further by recognizing pedestrians. Using a stereo-vision camera mounted above the rearview mirror, near-infrared projectors built into the high-beam headlamp units, and a millimeter wave radar phased antenna behind the Lexus emblem, APCS detects people or large animals..."

"What someone needs to do is set up a DB meter next to these luxury cars. Does Consumer Reports, Car and Driver, R&T etc, give Decibel numbers?"

I know for sure that Car and Driver gives the decibels for a car running @ 70mph, but I don't think for at idle or any other speed.

The review was better than I thought it would be, so that's good news.

Last edited: