Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Montreal charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if the Montreal service centre has weekend access to charging? I'll be making quite a few trips this year and until the Supercharger is up and running, charging at the Montreal end has been my limiting factor. Last trip I stayed at a hotel with a Sun Country 90a charger, but I've also considered staying in Kingston or Ottawa on the return trip to save a charging stop, which would mean that I'd want a fairly full charge before leaving Montreal. Any pointers on good fast charging opportunities around the Montreal area?

I'm a photographer for Montreal Roller Derby, so I'll be in for a bunch of Saturdays this year.

I haven't seen anything outside the service center.

There is also a Sun Country CS-90 at Hotel De Mortage in Boucherville, which is on the east side of Montreal, just when exiting the island. Not very convenient, if you are just coming for a day trip. But not too far out, if you are staying the night.

From what I gather, local matches happens at Taz and St-Louis Arena. When at le Taz, there is a charger from Circuit Electrique (J1772), which is 10-15 minutes walking distance, at a Metro grocery store on Fleury. You will need to procure a charging card before here: Devenir client

Here is the address :
METRO - Fleury
Numéro, rue : 1745 Rue Fleury Est
Province : Québec
Code Postal : H2C 1T3

Half way between the two, there is a Chevrolet dealer, so they might allow you to use their Volt chargers :
Le Relais Chevrolet Cadillac Buick GMC Ltee
9411 Avenue Papineau
Montreal, QC H2M 2G5
(514) 384-6380

Not much around the St-Louis Arena, but another charger from Circuit Electrique at Discount car rental, on Papineau, but over 2km away ...

If you plan on staying overnight, and plan on staying downtown, there is a bunch of chargers from AddEnergie's ReseauVER, at several shopping centers parking.
Again you need to procure a card before hand. Home

Does anyone know if the Montreal service centre has weekend access to charging?

When I picked up my MS from the SC in Montreal I asked of they had a higher powered outlet for me to test the UMC. Alex informed me that all they had were 110V outlets there. I found that rather surprising.

He didn't know if new outlets were in the works as part of the centres upgrades. I can't imagine a service centre not having them. Seems silly.

I just called the Montreal (Laval) service centre to ask about possible charging there when I'm in Montreal. They told me the NEMA 14-50 circuit is outside and available even when the centre is closed. This is a good option for me if I can't find anything better while staying with family in Point Claire. I also just ordered a Circuit Electrique card from here and it cost about $10 including 4 charge sessions, but I'm reading that the chargers are pretty slow, which sucks.

I've charged at the service center before. There's also a Best Western a bit further north with a Sun Country station - much faster than Circuit Electrique.

Am assuming you are talking abut the Best Western in St-Jerome ... I would think that the SCH EVSE @90A in Boucherville is better and much closer for him to get to than going to St-Jerome to only charge at 60 amps.

Am assuming you are talking abut the Best Western in St-Jerome ... I would think that the SCH EVSE @90A in Boucherville is better and much closer for him to get to than going to St-Jerome to only charge at 60 amps.

Hotel Mortagne has a CS-90, but the voltage there is really, really low, like 190V. As a result, since Tesla introduced the annoying current back-off feature (to protect NEMA 14-50 plugs, which this isn't), it ALWAYS backs off to 50A. So unfortunately Hotel Mortagne is no longer faster than St-Jerome. It may however be more convenient depending on where you are coming from.

(And yes I have complained to Tesla repeatedly about this nonsense, but they have done nothing. There is no reason whatsoever for the algorithm to have fixed voltage limits. It should look at the open circuit voltage when it first connects and use that as a basis for the thresholds.)

Hotel Mortagne has a CS-90, but the voltage there is really, really low, like 190V. As a result, since Tesla introduced the annoying current back-off feature (to protect NEMA 14-50 plugs, which this isn't), it ALWAYS backs off to 50A. So unfortunately Hotel Mortagne is no longer faster than St-Jerome. It may however be more convenient depending on where you are coming from.

(And yes I have complained to Tesla repeatedly about this nonsense, but they have done nothing. There is no reason whatsoever for the algorithm to have fixed voltage limits. It should look at the open circuit voltage when it first connects and use that as a basis for the thresholds.)

good to know, thanks.