Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Schizophrenic Door Handles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm happy to report that after about a week, I haven't had any significant issues with 4.3 (1.25.40). However, I do notice one odd thing which I've been seeing for awhile. (Definitely saw it on 4.2 as well).

Sometimes, when I put the car in park, the door handles extend. Then I open the door, the handles retract, and then immediately extend again. This does not happen every time, but it does happen frequently. Anyone else notice this?

It's resulting in unnecessary door handle actuation.

Ditto. Seems to come and go. Was doing it today. I've seen that on and off pretty much since day one, on several different firmware versions.

Doesn't hurt anything, of course, except perhaps additional wear-and-tear on the door handle mechanism.

I've reported this several times and the service people just look at me funny every time and "reset the door handles" which does nothing to fix it. I've pretty much given up on it. I didn't realize until recently, but it can actually be an issue, because while the doors are suddenly recessing (when they shouldn't be), the passengers cannot open their doors. Has happened to my passengers a couple of times now. It happens any time I drive for more than a few minutes. Really short drives cannot reproduce it. 4.3 did nothing to fix it.

I haven't seen this but under 4.2 or 4.3 the Park switch trick doesn't open the doors. My understanding is that whenever you're in Park, hitting the Park switch again will extend the door handles. Is this really true? Am I maybe doing something wrong?

I haven't seen this but under 4.2 or 4.3 the Park switch trick doesn't open the doors. My understanding is that whenever you're in Park, hitting the Park switch again will extend the door handles. Is this really true? Am I maybe doing something wrong?

I've tried that a few times and it's never worked. I'm still on 4.2. As far as Todd's issue, maybe once or twice this has happened, I assume some form of RF or receiver burp. My door handles occasionally act oddly but never to the point of failure or beyond minor annoyance. Of course, recently in one of the few times I've shown off the car, I walk up and the auto-extends don't work and I have to click the fob. Sheesh!

On another note is 4.3 still going out? Anybody got it in the past 3-4 days?

On 4.3, our handles stopped retracting. With the fob they retract and then come out again. I changed the auto present setting to off and they work fine with the fob. I noticed that when I leave the car unlocked in the garage and come back later the doors are locked even with auto present off. I tried rebooting to no avail. Since I have a way to make things work I have not called service during a very busy week.

I really like being able to set charging time to take advantage of late night low cost electricity.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but seemed close enough. Today for the first time I noticed that my handles did not extend when my fob was right next to it. I'm on 4.4 and have been for two weeks, and the auto present setting was on. Have never had any issues until this morning. I re-set the auto present from on to off to on again, and will test later. Maybe it just wasn't liking my fob for some reason.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but seemed close enough. Today for the first time I noticed that my handles did not extend when my fob was right next to it. I'm on 4.4 and have been for two weeks, and the auto present setting was on. Have never had any issues until this morning. I re-set the auto present from on to off to on again, and will test later. Maybe it just wasn't liking my fob for some reason.

I have noticed if you are walking in and out of range (or are within range long enough for the handles to retract) they will stop auto-presenting for a while. I can't seem to figure out how it determines all of this but it seems to happen.

I could be wrong about this perceived behavior.

I have noticed if you are walking in and out of range (or are within range long enough for the handles to retract) they will stop auto-presenting for a while. I can't seem to figure out how it determines all of this but it seems to happen.

I've had this happen also so I believe the behavior you describe exists.

This can happen if the fob and your phone are in the same pocket/hand.

Yes, I've noticed this also. Actually, I've noticed that in this case, even touching the handle won't make them extend. I actually have to use the fob.