Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware update 4.3 breaks USB/Micro SD 64GB drive functionality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on recommendations I read here, when I took delivery of my Model S, I purchased a Micro SD thumb drive and a 32GB Micro SD card.

I filled it with music and it worked flawlessly. I later upgraded the 32GB card to a 64GB card, and that worked just fine as well.

However, immediately after applying the 4.3 firmware update, I noticed that the 64GB drive was no longer showing up under Media.

I tried rebooting the dash and touchscreen, with no luck. I then tried going back to the 32GB card. It mounted immediately and I was able to play music from it. When I went back to the 64GB card, however -- nothing. It doesn't show up. That same card mounts fine on my computer, so the card hasn't gone bad.

I called Tesla, and they hadn't heard about this problem. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is anyone successfully using a 64GB card with the 4.3 update?

Thanks --

Lee

Also, the specification for SDXC requires that they be formatted with exFAT which is a proprietary filesystem by Microsoft that is not well documented other than the patent. Linux has limited support for this (and the model S uses Linux) but it is not standard. It uses a user-space filesystem to access it and even then there are patent issues. Also, many SD readers do not properly work with SDXC even though it is very close to SDHC.

Try formatting the SDXC card with FAT32 and see if that helps (EXT4 will also work).

I have some experience with SD since I recently implemented some low-level drivers for an embedded chip to support SDHC and SDXC. SDXC was basically supported for free since it's basically just SDHC with a bigger address space. My big complaint with SDXC is the mandated exFAT filesystem, though, since it is patent encumbered by Microsoft and thus not easy to support in Linux. Note that SDXC works just fine with other filesystems on it besides exFAT.

I don't have 4.3 yet but can try it out once I get the update.

Thanks for the help. I reformatted the card as FAT32, filled it back up, and it's working fine. It was previously formatted at exFAT, as you mentioned. Curiously, though, prior to the Tesla 4.3 update, it was working fine in the car.

Regardless, reformatting has solved the problem.