Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who enjoys their White Model S? Is Black better?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all -

I have been lurking the forums for a bit and I'm currently in a dilemma. I will be test driving the Model S soon before I make purchase, but I wanted to get owners opinions. If you have a White Model S, have you found any problems with the car? Does it hide dirt quite well? What interior did everyone go with?

Same goes for the Black color owners. Have you found the car to scratch easier and show dirt easier? What interior did you go with?

Thanks everyone for your input!

All black cars show dirt, the MS isn't any different. White would have been easier to keep clean, and I love a white model S. There's nothing like a clean, black car though. I would have been happy with white, but I'm very happy with black. And my arms are stronger for all the times I've washed it already. ;)

IMG_0260.jpg

Black will show dirt and dust more easily than white. It's a matter of personal perference if you don't mind the black/chrome accents and contrast. White and chrome don't contrast as much, however, the white has a big black nose cone on it like the space shuttle. White also tends to highlight panel gaps, while gaps seems to blend in with black.

Paint armor is also more noticeable on white than other colors, however avery may be an exception though (supposedly clearer and non-yellowing). Many PPF films tend to yellow over time making part of the car looking antique white under the film and white elsewhere.

Choices, choices, we waffled between gray and white, and ended up choosing Gray for my wife's S.

Black will show dirt and dust more easily than white. It's a matter of personal perference if you don't mind the black/chrome accents and contrast. White and chrome don't contrast as much, however, the white has a big black nose cone on it like the space shuttle. White also tends to highlight panel gaps, while gaps seems to blend in with black.

Paint armor is also more noticeable on white than other colors, however avery may be an exception though (supposedly clearer and non-yellowing). Many PPF films tend to yellow over time making part of the car looking antique white under the film and white elsewhere.

Choices, choices, we waffled between gray and white, and ended up choosing Gray for my wife's S.

but white will show dead bugs and all kinds of other dark junk that sticks to your car

Reactions: hybridbear
After owning a black car previously (and I totally endorse @carrerascott's comment on clean black cars looking awesome), I opted to go with a white S with grey rims and a black/CF interior - and so far, I love it.

IMO, white cars do show dirt, but don't "look" dirty as fast as black cars; I've only washed my S a couple of times in almost 4k miles, and while you can definitely tell it's dirty when you get up close, it's way less obvious than my last car. I don't think you could go wrong with either black or white, but if you go black, you'll need to wash it more often (think dust, pollen, anything that will settle on your car within a day or two of washing).

I also can't speak for which color is more scratch-resistant, but from previous experience, black cars show scratches and swirls pretty easily. Care when washing (and avoiding those automatic brush car-washes) should keep you safe for a good while in any case...

I much prefer white and have a white MS. Looks very nice. Cooler in the summer. And easier to see at night. White is easier to color match the paint after an accident (heaven forbid).

Black is so nice, except for the PITA of keeping it clean. Go for black if you have the time and desire to wash it all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

but white will show dead bugs and all kinds of other dark junk that sticks to your car

I like white for that reason. I can spot clean bugs, bird poo, etc. on white sooner since I see it.

I've owned a black car, and the only time it was ever really clean was just before they rolled it out of the dealership.

i've owned a couple of white cars, and was very pleasantly surprised how well they hid the dirt. Also the grey wheels look awesome on a white Model S. If I hadn't got Sig Red I definitely would have got white.

I was going for white but then changed my mind and chose grey instead. Took it to the Eco Green car wash in Redwood City the other day, and while I was waiting, I noticed that 6 out of the 8 cars that were being washed were...black!

My grey and a red Ferrari were the other two (should have snapped a picture...). Highly recommend this hand car wash btw. Quick, squeaky clean and relative cheap. No water used.

Black is a night out on the town, intimidating, James Bondish, black tie affair, sophisticated, money.
White is glorious on a sunny morning, positive, upbeat, pretty.

Black hides curves, white shows them off. Black absorbs heat, white reflects it. Think hot hot in the summer, vs cool.

Black and the nose cone are one and harmonious, where the black nose cone on white calls attention to itself. Door cracks, seams, etc stand out on white, where they're hidden on black.

Black requires meticulous care to avoid dirt, dust, and swirls in the paint over time, white hides these issues.

Both are easy to color match if scratched, tho white is easier.

White with the grey wheels and black or pano roof looks totally stormtrooper.

That said, our black looks pretty bad-ass.

You can't go wrong with either, but white will be easier to care for. We had several white Porsches before and they were a breeze to clean. For some reason we went with black for the Tesla. Maybe because it's an excuse to spend time out in the garage polishing her... :)

Black is a night out on the town, intimidating, James Bondish, black tie affair, sophisticated, money.
White is glorious on a sunny morning, positive, upbeat, pretty.

Black hides curves, white shows them off. Black absorbs heat, white reflects it. Think hot hot in the summer, vs cool.

Black and the nose cone are one and harmonious, where the black nose cone on white calls attention to itself. Door cracks, seams, etc stand out on white, where they're hidden on black.

Black requires meticulous care to avoid dirt, dust, and swirls in the paint over time, white hides these issues.

Both are easy to color match if scratched, tho white is easier.

What he said. 80% of my cars have been black, loving the pearl white.

Reactions: Sugacookie
Now that we've gotten thus far -- does anyone here own a brown Model S? Any comments, insights, experience with that colour?

Gmontem (not very regular on here) has one; I've seen it (when he kindly brought it by my place in December) and found it to be rather underwhelming.

No surprise that it apparently is the least popular Model S color around here - I'm yet to see another brown in three months and dozens of 'random sightings' in the Bay Area.

On-topic, white's really nice. There's one at work now (with silver 21s) and when I see it from a distance (three floors up looking down from my building at the charging stations and the EVs there), I love the way the white shows off the car's lines. When I see my green or another blue or a black from afar, it's all "black crush", to use a TV tech term.

That said, I can't contemplate owning a white car - just too vanilla for me.

I love the black car, and when Bobby is clean and shiny, it is a wonderful thing. The carbon grey spoiler looks great on a black car, too. I've never been into white (or silver) cars all that much though. I'm sure one can't go wrong with any of the colors.

But to reiterate and bring our two threads to together: I love a black model s the way a fat kid loves cake.