Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black fingerprints on headliner-How to clean it off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car had a flat tire last night and I had it towed to Tesla after it was stored by the tow company overnight. I now have a black greasy set of prints near the roof lights on the tan headliner in the front seat. I assume it was from the tow guy. Does any one have any ideas on how to remove greasy fingerprints?

Good suggestion to not over wet or use harsh solvents to prevent sagging.
For Alcantara:
First try to blot clean with water and a clean rag. Also recommended is mild washing detergent, or ethyl alcohol for stains that will not clear with the other 2 methods.

For fabric:
An upholstery cleaner should work well. The fabric has a courser texture and it's more important to blot to not set the stain deeper.

First things first...Take a microfiber towel or a terry towel slightly damped with hot or warm water and try to remove the smudges (DO NOT scrub hard, it can cause premature failure of your headliner later on). If the warm water doesn't do the trick, then spray a little bit of fabric cleaner on the already damped towel and try again. Don't forget to go over the spot with a clean towel to remove excess moisture.

Hope this helps

I got back from the body shop a few days ago, and I noticed a black fingerprint sized smudge right above my eyes near the visor. I have the suede-like beige cloth alcantara headliner.

I tried a very tiny bit of soap in water on a sponge. Still there, but lighter.

Then I tried some rubbing alcohol, which is 70% water, on the sponge.

Disappeared like magic.

Headliner looks new again. Since no one has mentioned simple rubbing alcohol (not ethyl, methyl, etc, but plain old isopropyl rubbing alcohol in your medicine cabinet) makes it an easy thing to try.

I mix some oxygen bleach powder in a cup of hot water, dip a microfiber cloth into that, and dab lightly. After it dries, if I still see hints of a stain then I go over the same area lightly with a dry microfiber cloth which does a good job of lifting the remaining stain.

From reading the above posts, it looks like there are several methods that have given good results. For me, I used Tide's Stain Eraser Amazon.com: Tide To Go Stain Eraser 16 Count: Health Personal Care to remove some finger print smudges on the A pillar fabric left by the window tint installer. I used the first pad to get the initial smudge off, followed up with a second pad which completely eliminated the finger print smudge. The product also comes in a "pen" format which I haven't tried.

I got back from the body shop a few days ago, and I noticed a black fingerprint sized smudge right above my eyes near the visor. I have the suede-like beige cloth alcantara headliner.

I tried a very tiny bit of soap in water on a sponge. Still there, but lighter.

Then I tried some rubbing alcohol, which is 70% water, on the sponge.

Disappeared like magic.

Headliner looks new again. Since no one has mentioned simple rubbing alcohol (not ethyl, methyl, etc, but plain old isopropyl rubbing alcohol in your medicine cabinet) makes it an easy thing to try.

AGREED! I had black smudgy grease on my light cream Alcantara headliner as a result of some sunroof work and (as a result of roblab's post here) used Isopropyl alcohol with a dry white washcloth and it came right off. I applied a mild amount of scrubbing pressure in a limited area (so as to not rub it in or spread it out) and it completely came off. Thanks for the tip!! "Before" picture attached - yuck!
IMG_6075.JPG