Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB stick caching oddity / acute accent character?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, so I copied all purchased songs from ITunes onto a USB stick and put them in the cars USB socket.
Worked fine ... except one Artist, Emeli Sande, did not appear in the list. Nor did her album, nor her songs.
Rebooted center console. No luck. Removed stick and reinserted several times. No where to be found.
Copied her songs over again. Nothing.
Puzzled, I put stick back in my laptop, and checked permissions on each folder. They were the same.
I then looked at all artist names and tried to determine something unique about her.
Her sande, e, is actually not e, but with an acute accent. Don't know how to produce it on a USA keyboard. (Accent aigu en Francais, not that she's French ... Scottish)
So I renamed her to Sande. (Without accent.)
Popped it back in car and ... huh???
She's now in the list, playing as well as she sings ... but she shows up in the list as Sande (with the accent!)
Is this minor bug unique to the S interface or something generic to computers in general. (Even though she shows up fine on stick and in my Windows Folders.

The displayed name probably comes from somewhere other than the file/directory name which is why the accent shows up. Whether the filename works with extended ASCII character or Unicode characters is particular to each operating system. You're lucky, most of my songs just have XXX where the characters are and about half have a ? instead of an album cover, and about half of the ones that do show the album cover either have the wrong cover or they have a very tiny image inside a big white square.

The displayed name probably comes from somewhere other than the file/directory name which is why the accent shows up. Whether the filename works with extended ASCII character or Unicode characters is particular to each operating system. You're lucky, most of my songs just have XXX where the characters are and about half have a ? instead of an album cover, and about half of the ones that do show the album cover either have the wrong cover or they have a very tiny image inside a big white square.
Where else would it come from?

Maybe someone out there that is more tech savvy than me can help with a simple solution on the music front. I have many CD's that I would like to be able to play in my MS. I have an iMac and can transfer that music to an iPod. But most of you say it is better to use a flash drive, stick and transfer to that then plug into the USB port on the MS. Can I get input on the easiest way to play my music in my new car when I get it. Thanks, Merrill

Can I get input on the easiest way to play my music in my new car when I get it. Thanks, Merrill

I just rip the CDs using WIN 7 at 320 kbps. I have been told that 256k is overkill as human ears cannot really hear the detail at 256k. So, of course, I went and did it at 320k :). The small USB thumb drives are perfect for car audio. Cheap, and easy to use. CDroms are such a hassle.

Enjoy your USB drive!!!

I just rip the CDs using WIN 7 at 320 kbps. I have been told that 256k is overkill as human ears cannot really hear the detail at 256k. So, of course, I went and did it at 320k :). The small USB thumb drives are perfect for car audio. Cheap, and easy to use. CDroms are such a hassle.

Enjoy your USB drive!!!
If you have the Sound Studio upgrade, I strongly urge you to rip CDs to a lossless format (FLAC or WAV). Many of us hear a dramatic difference.

Maybe someone out there that is more tech savvy than me can help with a simple solution on the music front. I have many CD's that I would like to be able to play in my MS. I have an iMac and can transfer that music to an iPod. But most of you say it is better to use a flash drive, stick and transfer to that then plug into the USB port on the MS. Can I get input on the easiest way to play my music in my new car when I get it.

The easiest way, assuming you have Apple Lossless files, is:

1. Copy the directories with finder containing the music to a thumb drive.

2. Use a program like Max to convert the Apple Lossless to FLAC on the thumb drive. Set the program to delete the original files.

3. Insert the thumb drive in the Model S.

4. Enjoy.

If you don't have Apple Lossless files, then just rip the CDs directly to the thumb drive.