Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen Below Limit Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After work today I started driving home and noticed something a bit odd.

It was about 34°F and I had a limited regen arc (yellow dashed arc around 30 kW) because the pack was cold. However, as I was regenning (if that's not a verb we should make it one) I noticed that I was only regenerating at 15 kW instead of the 30 kW limit, despite regenning from a high speed (50 mph).

Any ideas as to why I would have significantly less regen than even the yellow arc limit was indicating, despite slowing from a fairly high speed? No, I was not using the brakes.

I have noticed the same effect. Seems to be related to temperature. It has happened a couple times to me so far this winter and it seems to stay there until temps rise. My follow up question would be around the fact that I thought the car kept the batteries warm. I am guessing they keep the battery "just warm enough" to avoid wasting energy.

I hate to bring back this thread but an important thing to realize Is when you drive in the cold all the cold wind is hitting the bottom of the battery pack so it might actually cool the pack just enough to push you to the next threshold of regen limits until it warms up again.