Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20K Tread-wear Warranty - Michelin Tires Pilot Sport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good to know.

The tires have been rotated and inspected by a participating MICHELIN®
tire
retailer every 7,500 miles, and the attached Mounting and Rotation Service
Record has been fully completed and signed;
Do Tesla Service centers count as MICHELIN tire retailers?

The way it reads, you're likely to only end up with a discount on the price in the end. Received mileage / tread-wear warranty * cost of tire. So if you get anywhere near the tread-wear life of the tire you're not going to be saving that much.

Additionally, if the tread-wear is uneven the warranty does not apply at all.
Uneven or rapid wear which is caused by mechanical irregularity in the vehicle
such as wheel misalignment, (a measured tread difference of 2/32nds of an
inch (1.6 mm) or more across the tread on the same tire);

Treadwear warranties are basically a way to lock you in to purchasing two sets of tires. Almost all tires will make at least 80% of the warranty or close to it unless there is an alignment problem--in which case the warranty won't cover it. If you get 80% of the warranty life, then the warranty will cover 20% but you are purchasing the second set at MSRP (street price is typically 75% of MSRP), so the treadwear warranty doesn't actually save you anything. Road hazard is different because one can occur at any time.

Good luck with 20,000 miles from a Pilot Sport. Great traction = great wear and the Pilot sport is known for wearing fast. When you consider a 220 tread wear + somewhat undersized tire width + rear camber issue + high torque and regen applied to the rear wheels I would be surprised at anything over 15k miles. I plan to rotate frequently to even the wear out because I hate buying 2 tires at a time.