Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any other Alaskan members?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AudubonB

One can NOT induce accuracy via precision!
Mar 24, 2013
Hello all -

I have been lurking for only a short time - at present (Mar 2013) we are trying to determine which PHEV, BEV or ? will augment our current already too-large stable of Things With Tires. Conceptually, I like the Tesla...but wish Mr Musk had gotten on the stick 30 or so years earlier. Ah well.

Although I do have friends here in Alaska who are very happy with their early-generation Prius, they live in town where electricity is something that comes out of the wall and doesn't cost more than rubies or emeralds. Where we live, the nearest real town is 200 miles away and, if I still chose to support our local so-called electric grid I would have the privilege of paying....wait for it.... FOUR DOLLARS for every kWh.

As I long ago tired of giving those fine wonderful upstanding examples of (expletive deleted) over ten thousand dollards every year to be the beneficiary of the world's most expensive and least reliable, lowest quality (52Hz - 68Hz; 170-255V) electrons, now all our power comes from a good-sized bank of PV panels, a massive (9-ton) battery bank, some really nice Outback 48V inverters, and a rarely-used 30kW diesel genset as backup.

Regardless, most of the time I would sit in a Tesla-type vehicle would be to go to "town", and these cars aren't - yet! - ready for 400+ mile round trippers. Especially at our temperatures.

BUT....as our lives are about to undergo a significant alteration so that for about half each year we'll be in the Valley Of The Sunstroke, we're looking, as I wrote, for some kind of EV.

So, that's a bit about me.

Now, who else got stuck with the registration's curveball question of the "S" being a kind of (fill in the blank). RoboDaemon didn't like my attempt at either "automobile" or "Tesla". Hah!

Cheers, all -

Audie

Man oh man....MarkR must be trolling reallllllllllly deep to resurrect this long-sunken thread. Ya gotta shed a tear for those poor souls soffffering in the 199º heat of the Valley Of The Sunstroke.

As I wrote elsewhere, we've seen two different Model Ss in the Anchorage area (Dimond, more or less....not in the JoshCar color), and two in Palmer. So: where's our Service Center, TM???