Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(BIG JPG) Supercharger overlay map

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
With the small source art, the scaling didn't position things as nicely as I'd like but I thought I'd share the resulting image nonetheless.

I have several higher quality renderings but the forum rejected 7 different things I tried. :(

SuperchargersLongTermPlanOverlay5.jpg

Very interesting. And do the ones that exist correlate to the map locations? I always thought of the original map as being more "directional" than "specifically planned". But it does actually seem to map out to real places, esp. lining up with major cities in the southwest (e.g. AZ to TX)

But that's what's odd to me. All the ones they've installed thus far are not IN the major cities, they are BETWEEN them, I guess assuming people will either use existing in-city infrastructure or their home for charging (which makes sense). So, in AZ for example putting one in Phoenix is a bit misplaced to me. Yes, I'd love to have one in town, but I'd much rather have one that enables me to extend a trip from a full charge from Phoenix.

And also, looking at this map, I still can't get directly from PHX to LA, SD, or LV, which would be the top 3 out-of-range destinations I would imagine for most road tripping Phoenicians.

And thanks for the idea and the effort!

In Safari and Firefox I get similarly sized eyestrainers like the pale pastel text that makes the Tesla Motors website such a nightmare. As originally this is better a download & enjoy on the side kind of thing. Broken into 5 or six regions might present better. Jpgs of 1.5 mb will actually post here, but never tried anything larger; this is only 400kb! Are you hoping to set it up for editing in new SCs as they are commissioned? We definitely need a sticky map with all the latest SCs (& HPCs too).
--

I really hope the southern Utah points are wrong, they simply don't make sense. (Anywhere in SLC of course makes sense.)
Currently they are located around St. George and along I-70 significantly west of the Route 6 intersection.
Neither spot maximizes usefulness of the main routes through Utah.

Tesla, if you're listening, hear me out as to why you should put the first 2 southern Utah superchargers in Cedar City and Green River.
The goals are to cross Utah north south, as well as east west, and to get to key destination points (like Moab) covered.

Why St. George (where the south western dot currently is) isn't the best idea...
Quite simply, that puts the supercharger too close to Las Vegas (123 miles) and too far from SLC (303 miles). Thus, you cannot travel with N-S corridor in Utah from SLC to/from NV or CA as you cannot go from the St. George supercharger to the SLC supercharger, unless you go the route at 45mph (while most of I-15 is 75mph through Utah). Also, this is a very poor EV charging area (a vast empty space on Plugshare). Also, St. George to Green River (I'll get to Green river in a moment) is 289 miles, not reliably doable between superchargers.

For the south western Utah supercharger, Ceder City makes much more sense.
Here are the distances:
Cedar City to Las Vegas: 175 miles
Cedar City to Salt Lake City: 250 miles
Cedar City to Green River (allowing the I-15 to I-70 connection for travel between LA and Devner): 237 miles
Thus, Cedar City allows all connections to be made and travel throughout the south western part of the state. Also, Cedar City has 3 exits on I-15, each of which has a few restaurants.

As for the south eastern point, the current dot sits in the middle of nowhere, along a 70 mile stretch of I-70 that does not even have a gas station.
The south eastern supercharging station should be at Green River. One of Green River's primary functions is as a refueling station to allow crossing Utah in ICE vehicles, and would make sense for EV's as well.
Going south east from SLC, the main route is Route 6 to I-70, and Green River sits at this junction. Here are the distances:
Salt Lake City to Green River: 182 miles
Cedar City to Green River: 237 miles
Green River to Grand Junction, CO: 105 miles
Green River to Moab: 55 miles

The current dot for the south eastern Utah charging station sits about 40 miles west of the Route 6 - I-70 interchange. If there, it would pose a number of problems. If coming from SLC to Moab, you would have to drive an additional 80 miles out of the way to use the supercharger, thus adding far too much time and depleting needed charge in Moab. Also, if going from Denver to SLC, you would have to go 80 miles out of the way to the supercharger as you cannot reliably go from Grand Junction to SLC (284 miles).

Thus, is there are superchargers in Cedar City and Green River, the triangle of SLC to south western and south eastern Utah is perfect, and both the north-south and east-west crossings are doable.

Anyway, I know this isn't something non-Utahns think about often, but these are roads I drive often, so I hope they get it right. Plus, when you do road trip, and you need to cross our beautiful state in your Model S (using free clean energy!) you too will be glad if they get it right!

I've done a dynamic map at:
for the short term location goals. I've added a few features to it since my original posting at: Tesla Supercharger network - Page 73 - including known locations with special pin, a way to select certain cities, reservation counts nearby. I've thought of making one for long term goals too, but I haven't spent the time to guess all the coordinates for them. brianman did you pick specific coordinates for yours or is this an image overlay?

Overall the dots look about right to me. Even the Utah ones (adjusting for all the dots along that road being a bit south of the actual road). The idea is putting a supercharger every 150-200 miles.

Actually, every 120 - 150 miles according to Elon.

Also, one needs to consider that trips are not always between two cities, but also to/from surrounding areas.

I am also in the SLC/Orem area of Utah. I have to say that I fully agree with BryanW. There are very few destinations mid state. Weekend get-aways are usually St George or Moab. Allowing most common usage will promote tesla implementation in the area.

Actually, every 120 - 150 miles according to Elon.

Anything over 150 miles would make them useless for the 60 kWh cars so I really hope they are not spaced any further than that. I really don't understand their plan for Washington State. You can't just put one in Spokane because that's almost 300 miles from Seattle (plus you need to get over the Cascade Mountains!). We absolutely MUST have a Supercharger somewhere in the middle of the state in order to be able to cross the state. I've heard rumors of Ellensburg but I think that is still too far away from Spokane. Vantage Washington would be ideal since it would allow travel to both Spokane as well as Pullman.

If the rumors are true, the map is already wrong vs. their original plans. :)

The map shows one in Champaign, but the rumors (via contractors and such) have placed it in/near Bloomington/Normal, IL. The one in Bloomington, IL will be a much better location than Champaign, because it represents the St. Louis to Chicago path (I-55). Effingham would be better suited for an I-57/I-70 SC, Champaign is a great city and all but it's just not a good location on the highway system.

I agree about a Supercharger at Vantage. But I think you must be a WSU alum. You should see if WSU will allow NEMA 14-50 charger on campus so that you can charge up during a game! There are a number of other state universities that have charging stations.