Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S HPWC now installed and working in the Bellevue Square Tesla Parking area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Blurry_Eyed

MS Sig #267, MX Sig # 761
Dec 29, 2011
FYI - A Model S HPWC is now installed at the Bellevue Square Tesla parking area. They replaced one of the two Roadster HPC's units with the HPWC. There is still one Roadster HPC available for Roadster charging at Bellevue Square.

I charged on the HPWC yesterday at a rate of about 41 miles per hour (about 208 volts at around 70 amps - I have the twin on-board chargers).

FYI - A Model S HPWC is now installed at the Bellevue Square Tesla parking area. They replaced one of the two Roadster HPC's units with the HPWC. There is still one Roadster HPC available for Roadster charging at Bellevue Square.

I charged on the HPWC yesterday at a rate of about 41 miles per hour (about 208 volts at around 70 amps - I have the twin on-board chargers).

Is that the typical rate for the HPWC? I thought it's supposed to deliver up to 60 miles per hour.

Yes. The power an outlet puts out is Volts * Amps, so a ~15% reduction in voltage reduces the charging rate by 15%. And note that the amps are lower here too - 70 instead of 80, another >10% drop. I would expect around 43mph at a 208V 70A station; and note that a lot of times the volts sag even lower than that. On my most recent road trip I saw anywhere from 41 to 44mph at similar stations.

Well, there's another issue where there seems to be problems with the mph display getting confused over what type of miles it is showing. Try changing it to display kWh instead to remove that factor.

With a 14-50 you should be able to pull 40A at 240V (assume this is at home, rather than commercial) so that's 9.6kW. In an hour you should add 9.6kWh. Of course it may slow down at first as it heats or cools your battery. And it may slow down at the end if you do a range mode charge. If neither of those are happening and it's still slow, look at what the car says it is pulling for volts and amps.

(Assuming ~3 miles per kWh, 9.6kW should give you about 29 miles per hour).

Is that the typical rate for the HPWC? I thought it's supposed to deliver up to 60 miles per hour.

I believe that the 60mph claim is for ideal miles added. I have a single charger and only get 24-26 rated mph on my 240V/40A NEMA 6-50 outlet. I have gotten 31mph when I switched the car to display ideal miles.

Also, be aware that both the Washington Square and Bellevue Square spots have NEMA 14-50 outlets that can be used if the HPWC is being used.

Was just there today. The HPWC charges at 72 amps @ 203 volts, around 44 MPH, 14KW. Had to try charging greater than 40 amps, cool. I was expecting some fans or something but completely silent. There was a HURD of Model S's there, maybe 5-6 in the Tesla parking area along with a pre-owned Roadster. Talked to a guy who just picked his up 3 days ago and has been charging up at home on only 120V. He has a HPWC in a box at home and has an appointment to have it installed next week. He said he only gained 30 miles overnight on 120V, not surprising. He needed the charge much worse than me so I moved and let him get on the HPWC. Apparently someone stole their HPC > Model S adapter, that sucks. Yes there is a 14-50 just down from the HPWC near the circuit panel. When I left there was another Model S plugged into the 14-50 as well. There are also 4-5 Chargepoint J1772 30A 208V stations just around the corner, they are $1.50/hour though. I'll update Recargo with the info about the HPWC, HPC, and 14-50.

- - - Updated - - -

Recargo info updated: http://www.recargo.com/sites/3134

Nice. Now if only I could remember how to find the spot - Bellevue Square scares this country boy.

I copied this from brianman's post in another thread, but I also modified it:

Exit 405 onto NE 8th westbound
Left onto Bellevue Way (southbound)
Right at the first driveway you can, after P.F. Chang's and Boom Noodle, but before Cheesecake Factory
Right into the parking garage
Sharp right (to the valet area) rather than going up the ramp
Veer left of the island
Sharp left into the Tesla parking/charging area

Basically, it's in the parking garage on the ground level. Don't go up the ramp. If you circle around the ground level, you'll definitely see it.

Last edited:
I copied this from brianman's post in another thread, but I also modified it:

Exit 405 onto NE 8th westbound
Left onto Bellevue Way (southbound)
Right at the first driveway you can, after P.F. Chang's and Boom Noodle, but before Cheesecake Factory
Right into the parking garage
Sharp right (to the valet area) rather than going up the ramp
Veer left of the island
Sharp left into the Tesla parking/charging area

Basically, it's in the parking garage on the ground level. Don't go up the ramp. If you circle around the ground level, you'll definitely see it.
Thank you. It is now on a card in the glove compartment.

Thanks, noticed the link on the recargo page for blv sq doesn't point to a valid page (http://www.bellevuecollection.com/bellevue_square.php). I have tried to park at that first floor tesla place a few times, but I've been afraid I'd get blocked in. It's kind of un-organized. Do you just park there and not worry about it?

I asked the sales office about that yesterday. The white Tesla that's always plugged into the HPWC is being used for test drives. So you can't block it, park in its spot, or unplug it.

Not that I mind - I think it's great for Tesla to have a car always available for a test drive, but this particular HPWC shouldn't be counted as a generally available charge station. (I'm sure they'll allow you to charge in a bind though.)

I charged on the HPWC there as well. Got about 40 miles/hr. I'm still waiting for my HPWC to show up but I was wondering if anyone has gotten up to the 60 miles per hour that we've heard about. Once I noticed the rate, I asked the guy at the Tesla store how many amps theirs was connected to and he said 100. I also looked around the unit and found what appeared to be a 100 amp line. Maybe they just don't get that much power even though the lines can take it.

Thanks Chad. I read the thread so I saw the previous discussion. I was mainly wondering if they actually have 100 amp service but only get 72 amps for some reason or if it really is just a 72 amp service. Guess I should've realized the guy in the store would be clueless.