Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G Pricing - Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Cross-post from Tesla site)

If you view the source of the available service options page, you'll see this!

Connectivity + Unlimited 3G
This month
Recurs at $30 each month
Payments begin 4/7/2013

$30
Which implies (and says!) $30/mo. starting April 7 for unlimited 3G. Mystery solved?!

$30/month is steep since most of what people use the 3g for is the maps, music, and perhaps a small amount of web browsing. On top of all the other charges (service plan, warranty, etc) its starting to add up.

(Cross-post from Tesla site)

If you view the source of the available service options page, you'll see this!

Connectivity + Unlimited 3G
This month
Recurs at $30 each month
Payments begin 4/7/2013

$30
Which implies (and says!) $30/mo. starting April 7 for unlimited 3G. Mystery solved?!

- - - Updated - - -

Any we are suppose to get 90 days of free service, so cant imagine having to start paying in April when i received the car in late February.

3G Pricing - Semi-Official

I agree. $30 is too much considering the current restrictions (no HTML5 and video) and the fact it's 3G and not 4G or LTE. I pay less for unlimited LTE on my iPhone.

I'm happy to pay what things are worth, even when they're expensive which is why I happily bought a $100K Tesla.
But I think $30 is a lot for what it A) really slow service and B) Doesn't serve much function. I pay that for data on my phone but for that I easily get my email, updates, web browse, play games, listen to music and podcasts... on and on.
The 3G in the Tesla is hardly useable for web browsing which isn't something I would often do in my car if it did work well. There is no text or email ability-- there is music but it's badly hampered (see threads on Slacker in the Tesla). I guess what I'm saying is that there isn't much to get excited about in having a 3G enabled car and to the extent its useful, it doesn't work very well. Hard to justify $30 a month for something that doesn't work well and has low utility.

Don't blame Tesla. This is AT&T's idiotic pricing per device. AT&T doesn't want to figure out a person with many devices plan because that would mean they'd lose revenue.

Hopefully they enable tethering at the same time so that you can opt to tether to your phone if you don't want to pay the AT&T 30/month price.

I believe that Tesla/Musk would be smart to have this service remain on all vehicles for unlimited of time! Protential buyers would fine this additional cost plus the cost of the car, adding bigger battery pack, and service contract over the top. Don't drain the savings of our gasoline........ Easy does it Tesla!
Thanks
Starting to remove the Tesla Grin customer

I would just use my iPhone as a hotspot for the Tesla in that case. I highly doubt its going to do much to my datacap. Plus I get hotspot use for free because Im on a family plan. It would cost less for me to just up my data by 2GB if I even needed to.

I can picture the thread on here already. How to unlock and use a t-mobile, H2O or other sim. Hmm is there a sim card hidden away somewhere? Anybody know?
3G on such a technically advanced car is a sin. To pay $30 for 3G is just salt in the wound.
LTE may be worth it but 3G. No thanks. Maybe $5. $10 at most.
Besides without it would Tesla still have access to data at their whim? How about software updates? That would mean having to go to the service center if you didn't buy the 3G unless there is a way via wifi. Sorry I am still awaiting mine and don't know that answer.

I agree with the majority here... 3G wouldn't even be worth while at $10 a month ...

Give me the ability to use my wifi hotspot and activate those promised items before you (Tesla) decide to shoot yourself in the proverbial foot with feeing your customers to complete dissatisfaction .....just a thought.

Nope. Not giving AT&T that much more per month. Wifi for me. Why do car makers make the SIM hidden?
Why do they care who provides service? I'd much prefer to shop for my own (possibly pre-paid) plan and
drop a SIM in. If they are going to accept WIFI tethering, they are already tacitly accepting internet service
outside their control.