Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger Door Hard to Close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KenEE

P1919 Reward Excellence!
May 27, 2010
Texas
Has anyone had their passenger door repaired or adjusted?

I know there were many reports of hard to close doors on the first several waves of deliveries.

I'm wondering if Tesla has a fix for this or if everyone is just living with it.

I cross my fingers everytime I give a prospective Tesla owner a ride that they will shut the door hard enough. It's amazing what a puzzled/negative look people get when they know they closed the door hard enough, but yet the car is complaining it's not shut.

Hoping its somehow adjustable and that I will eventually get it fixed.

I pointed this problem out each of the two times my car's been in for service. The second time, they "adjusted door strikers". It does in fact close fine now, but the edge of the door furthest from the hinge is no longer flush with the body. It sticks out about 1/8" and looks like it didn't shut completely. Oh well. At least it closes.

Complaint Narrative: Door difficult to close completely (FR)Cause: right front door fitment
Correction: Striker - Door - Front - RH
adjusted door strikers

Pay Type: Goodwill

Resurrecting this old thread. I am having this issue. I read several threads about removing the drain plug. Does that actually help? Have other people had this problem and found another solution?

I took it in to the Fremont service center and they fixed it. They warned me beforehand that it was going to be about finding the middle ground between making it close easier and still looking flush from the outside, but from what I can tell, they just flat out fixed it (easy to close, everything still aligned correctly from the outside).

Also having passenger door closure issues

Resurrecting this old thread. I am having this issue. I read several threads about removing the drain plug. Does that actually help? Have other people had this problem and found another solution?

They were out to service my car today and this is the only remaining issue at this time. It seems that the divider for the triangular window is striking the vehicle before the door hits the striker. The repair guy was really professional and stated that he would escalate to the service manager Tuesday on his return. I know the feeling coming from people about the door not closing right kind of a first impression issue. If anyone can shed some light on what the SC needs to do that would be great. Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Btw. My vin is 17885.

Do not remove the drain plugs!. The air bags are triggered by a differential pressure sensor in the door. Tesla is not the only vehicle that uses such a system.