Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone taken their MSP to a track day yet? Care to share?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Echoing buzzbuzz, there were several Model S at the track at that UofQuattro event, and they were pushed hard - but unfortunately they were generally pushed for very short periods of time, and then had to wait for other cars. So I don't think much was learned there.

I've seen people doing 1/4 mile races...but same issue there. Just short bursts.

I have driven my Model S (not perf) through some mountainous terrain at high speeds for some pretty long periods of time and never had any issues or warnings. That's still not the same as at a track, though. I haven't heard of anybody that's done a series of fast laps with a production car.

Echoing buzzbuzz, there were several Model S at the track at that UofQuattro event, and they were pushed hard - but unfortunately they were generally pushed for very short periods of time, and then had to wait for other cars. So I don't think much was learned there.

I've seen people doing 1/4 mile races...but same issue there. Just short bursts.

I have driven my Model S (not perf) through some mountainous terrain at high speeds for some pretty long periods of time and never had any issues or warnings. That's still not the same as at a track, though. I haven't heard of anybody that's done a series of fast laps with a production car.

If nothing else, I'm taking my Model S to the refuel event at Laguna Seca this summer. I'll report back then, if this question hasn't been answered by then.

I've seen limiting when I keep on it hard around 100-110 or when I was trying to hit the max but stuck at 132mph for a few seconds or so. The limiting is still somewhere high around 300-310 kW though so I don't know if it pulls back a little power for the cooling systems
I seem to remember seeing the draw go up to 320kW or so under full acceleration - which is more than the motor can use and I assume a little power is being used for cooling systems.

Doing a 1/2 mi run (up to ~115-125) I get the yellow dashed

I'd love to get to a track someday. The car is really fun when you push it past it's limit ( a little )

I’ll be taking my Model S to Autobahn Country Club this spring. The track(s) open next Saturday, but I am not sure when I will actually get there, since the weather is still pretty cold here (open windows are required for safety, and cold pavement and tires aren’t great for traction). Anyway, I’ll get some kind of video, and if I am ambitious, I’ll move my Traqmate equipment (data acquisition that provides lap times, speed, track position, etc.) from my other car. Here is a video of what I can capture with it: one lap at ACC south circuit

I will do a range charge before leaving home and the track is about 40 miles from my house. I may only do one session (around 10 laps on the 2.1 mile south circuit) just to see how much battery is consumed and if I have any “power limiting” issues. I may also just do a few short sessions with some amount of recharging in between. I really don’t know, since this is part of the fun of experimenting with a new car!

I’ll be taking my Model S to Autobahn Country Club this spring. The track(s) open next Saturday, but I am not sure when I will actually get there, since the weather is still pretty cold here (open windows are required for safety, and cold pavement and tires aren’t great for traction). Anyway, I’ll get some kind of video, and if I am ambitious, I’ll move my Traqmate equipment (data acquisition that provides lap times, speed, track position, etc.) from my other car. Here is a video of what I can capture with it: one lap at ACC south circuit

That Traqmate data is nice. I wonder if the streaming API can be refreshed at 20Hz, then post-processed to get power output along with speed & location. A cohort with a laptop in the staging area could capture while you drive.

Paging PureAmps, your assistance is needed!

A couple weeks ago, I took my MSP to an autocross "driver's clinic". Had a complete blast! I tried most of the different course items (chicago box, slalom, skid pad, pivot cone) with traction control on, then off to see the difference. I had more fun with T/C off, of course. I still have tire tread left.
With any autocross, the driver is the key factor to the time, so mine sucked. But my instructor (one of the organizers) was very impressed with the car's ability to get the job done.

Do I read you correctly that you see/feel a power drop simply from driving aggressively in the 100 mph range? And that a single squirt to ~120mph triggers a limit?

If true, this is really disappointing.

I'm not quite sure what it is. It might just be showing the motor power since the kW reaches higher than 310kW and the dashed line is near the 310kW.
and I think the display shows power being pulled above the yellow dashed line (say maybe 320kW or so) vs low battery limiting where you cannot pull more power than the dashed limit line.

..the motor is 310kW max right?.. that was my assumptions for the #'s I just used

there is an autocross + driving school the 13-14th of April that I might try in the Eureka area. Sounds fun

I'm not quite sure what it is. I think the display shows power being pulled above the yellow dashed line (say maybe 320kW or so) vs low battery limiting where you cannot pull more power than the dashed limit line.

I wouldn't necessarily trust the UI if you don't feel a change in your "butt dyno." Might be interesting for someone to download an iPhone app to measure acceleration runs and see if it shows evidence of gradual power fall-off and/or step-function limiting. I have a TraqMate, but some of the cheap iPhone apps are REALLY good and super convenient.

I wouldn't necessarily trust the UI if you don't feel a change in your "butt dyno." Might be interesting for someone to download an iPhone app to measure acceleration runs and see if it shows evidence of gradual power fall-off and/or step-function limiting. I have a TraqMate, but some of the cheap iPhone apps are REALLY good and super convenient.

I haven't used an app for a run that fast - yet :tongue:
I do get consistent <4.4s 0-60 runs on wet pavement though!

the 'power' over 110mph does drop off - which is just fine by me :eek:
some of it is drag increase, some might be the slow build up of heat but the cooling is probably good at high speed due to the airflow so hmmm.
the car doesn't disappoint but I have never driven on a big track

Did couple of runs today, here is time slip from run at local 1/8 mile track, no 1/4 mile track close by.
They did say if I come back will have to bring helmet next time, car was too fast - under 8.6 requires helmet. Funny, I don't use helmet driving around town...
No issues, had driven car 110 miles during the day before getting to track (range showed 151 miles at that time), after 3 runs range down to 132, then drove home.

run 1 - 8.222, run 2- 8.212, run 3- 8.617 (tires spun due to water and traction control took over)

timeslip.jpg

Just reposting a couple of vids from yesterday's track session at Sandia Motorsports Park. The acceleration out of corners is great, but the power limitation to 160kW when predicted miles reach 31 is a drag. Wish it could be disabled.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the autocross and race driving school this weekend. I think I did pretty good for my first time racing through cones, especially in such a big heavy car. My tires are almost toast now but it was really fun pushing the S so hard. The morning 3 laps and afternoon were both 2.2 miles total & I used 4kW for each session - 1780 WHR/mi. :) fun