Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Refuses Model S - Roadster Trade-In

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

stenkb

Roadster 938 Model S 5957 Model X ?
Nov 23, 2009
Lethbridge, Alberta
Delivery Frustrations: Top Priority

Has anyone else found after getting the Tesla email runaround that their catch phrase is that you are their top priority? But actually means they have no idea what's going on and you will most likely be transferred to yet another customer service employee....

With the complete disaster from Tesla HQ in regards to doing anything at all with my model S that has been shipped to my nearest service center, it just sits there as they cannot figure out how to get a trade in price on a roadster, or do any paperwork. Now in week 3 and no end in sight.....pathetic.

Please beware if you hear the words "top priority" . I have had it used 3 different times and each time left in the dark even more.

Has anyone else found after getting the Tesla email runaround that their catch phrase is that you are their top priority?
No.
But actually means they have no idea what's going on and you will most likely be transferred to yet another customer service employee....

With the complete disaster from Tesla HQ in regards to doing anything at all with my model S that has been shipped to my nearest service center, it just sits there as they cannot figure out how to get a trade in price on a roadster, or do any paperwork. Now in week 3 and no end in sight.....pathetic.
That, however, sounds absolutely typical. The paperwork end of things is a complete mess. I bet they don't have anyone who even knows the Alberta laws.

After what seems a very long time of back and forth with Tesla, I have finally shipped my Roadster to Vancouver to get a final trade in value for my Model S which is built and has been sitting in Vancouver for weeks now. Problem is Tesla has refused the trade in because they repaired it a few years ago for me, http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/5293-6-months-to-repair-Roadster The thing I don't understand (and have been given no reasoning for) is that my car was scraped while parked from another vehicle that backed up too close to it, it wasn't an impact accident, basically the side panels on the car were either scratched or cracked. Tesla oversaw all the repairs and everything was replaced with new parts, painted and put back together.

Not only did this take months to repair, fast forward 2 years and now Tesla won't take the Roadster in on trade in? I can't get a real reason why...Tesla oversaw all the repairs, it was all new parts, nothing was patched up, and now they tell me they won't accept it. How does this make sense?

Jeez I even upgraded the car when it was there with the 2.5 front bumper, rear diffuser and a front CF lip on the bumper. (does that make it not allowed for a trade in as well? Those parts were replaced with new parts.....)

Does this mean anyone that had any parts on their Roadster changed out with new parts whether for repair or for an upgrade should not be allowed to trade in their Roadster? I really feel like they are trying to get one over on me and it isn't sitting very well.

Before
scratch.JPG

After
3.jpeg

I have found my experience with Tesla to be extremely positive at all times... including trading in my Roadster. Where are you in the overall process, and with whom are you speaking at Tesla about your trade-in?

Start with this....http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/15048-Tesla-Refuses-Model-S-Roadster-Trade-In?p=300435#post300435

but basically I have talked with about 6 different Tesla reps, some lower level some higher level, and it has all been a mess. I know that large majority of people have had good service and I wish we all did, however I have gotten the run around for months and have lost most of my faith in the people at Tesla. I don't really want to name names, but even the trade in person who was near useless has been transferred and I had to start all over again with a new one - but same poor result. I am definitely having bad luck with the trade in process but I have had the same poor service from each level of employee there I have talked with as well. Well actually one lady was very nice and understanding, but she just transferred me to another that was useless again. I can't really pinpont where the problem originates for me it seems to be company wide, I think alot of it resides in the fact that if anything is out of the ordinary in any way at all - they have no idea how to handle it or how to get assistance with it.

My understanding is Tesla isn't set up to deal with trade ins. Haven't they been using a third party for that?
They simply not know how to deal with the upgrades, or maybe some other issue.
Unfortunately we are only getting one side of the story here as well.
I second the written refusal suggestion, it may help you get a better idea.

Problem is Tesla has refused the trade in because they repaired it a few years ago for me, bumper. (does that make it not allowed for a trade in as well? Those parts were replaced with new parts.....)

Just theorizing here, but maybe Tesla can't be certain there is no chassis damage/bending that took place so they can't put the car in their CPO program.

Does this mean anyone that had any parts on their Roadster changed out with new parts whether for repair or for an upgrade should not be allowed to trade in their Roadster?

No. If my theory is right it just means that anyone who has had a shunt is probably going to have a hard time getting Tesla to market their car as CPO.

I really feel like they are trying to get one over on me and it isn't sitting very well.

i don't see how they are "trying to get one over" on you. You're free to sell the car yourself, why not just do that?

i don't see how they are "trying to get one over" on you. You're free to sell the car yourself, why not just do that?

Well the back story is that the trade in saga has been going on for months, and I just found out that they refused the trade in days ago.....odd to me since they are the ones that repaired my car and knew about the repairs - the car was basically scratched - not even bumped. And in Canada this time of year is winter - snow, ice, minus 20 degree weather - not exactly convertible weather hehe. On top of that I specifically asked if I could trade this in months ago and was given 100% yes, twice. I did have it listed on ebay for a while to sell it myself but no bites - it's winter. So trade in made sense.

Last edited:
Rather disturbing that Tesla would treat a repeat customer in such a way. That body damage was minor, cars are repaired all the time and resold, what's the big deal? They should give you a fair value offer that you can either accept or decline.