Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What steering mode do you use?

• Comfort

Votes: 17 8.2%
  • Standard

Votes: 82 39.6%
  • Sport

Votes: 108 52.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kipernicus

Model S Res#P1440
Dec 2, 2009
Belmont, CA
Curious, what setting do you like and why?

Driving home from the factory I thought "wow, this car is squirrely, I can hardly hold a straight line on the freeway!"
I quickly put it on Sport and it felt much more stable.
Today, I was looking at the Controls screen and discovered that I was on Comfort!
Evidently I had gotten used to the car and felt ok with comfort. Tomorrow I will try Standard for a bit.

I use Standard around town and Sport on the Highway. I find the car to be a bit squirrely on the freeway and Sport helps a bunch. The front wheels have essentially zero toe in which contributes to the wander at speed.

Sport helps with the squirrely feel?

I've done a fair amount of driving in all 3 modes. I feel like the car is just about as squirrely in any of its modes. Eventually, I decided that I wanted the car to be as easy as possible for me to control. After driving in comfort mode, I don't feel like the car is any less fun in the corners. You still need strength to prevent yourself from falling over, you just don't need it to turn the steering wheel, too.

I have to say I've been a bit disappointed with how the car handles on the freeway. I have a long commute (hour each way) that is mostly freeway and often with Cruise on. The car seems to squirm and wobble and I can actually feel my head bob from side to side as I drive. It's as if there are ruts in the road and the car just can't find the right groove. I constantly have to input small steering corrections. My old car was rock solid and tracked absolutely straight and true, so I know it is not something specific to the road I drive on. I have found that "Sport" mode helps a little bit, but wish the steering was speed-sensitive and would go back to "Normal" at slower speeds.

I have to say I've been a bit disappointed with how the car handles on the freeway. I have a long commute (hour each way) that is mostly freeway and often with Cruise on. The car seems to squirm and wobble and I can actually feel my head bob from side to side as I drive. It's as if there are ruts in the road and the car just can't find the right groove. I constantly have to input small steering corrections. My old car was rock solid and tracked absolutely straight and true, so I know it is not something specific to the road I drive on. I have found that "Sport" mode helps a little bit, but wish the steering was speed-sensitive and would go back to "Normal" at slower speeds.
You should have the alignment checked... Could take my hands off the wheel for a mile on a straight road and it tracks beautifully.

I agree with efusco, you should check the alignment and find a good shop to do it. I had Tesla Service align our car initially because of a fairly bad steering wheel offset when the car was delivered and that helped the car seem solid, but it still didn't feel rock solid like I remember the test drive cars felt like. I took the car in to get some minor stuff worked on and when it came back, the steering felt even more off, so I asked the service manager whom he would recommend for an alignment and he recommended a place that works on really high end cars (Ferrari's, Lambo's, etc.). I was willing to pay to get the car aligned by the best and that really made a world of difference in how the car now tracks and how it feels on the freeway and under heavy acceleration. It's rock solid, no feeling of having to constantly make small inputs to keep it tracking straight. Also I had a slight pull in the car under heavy acceleration and that completely disappeared. So look around for a top notch alignment shop and pay the extra to get them to align it. The car we have now after getting it aligned right is just so much more enjoyable to drive and inspires confidence in the way it tracks and handles.

I think the best way to describe the change comes from my wife, who drives the car as her primary car, she said that before we had the car properly aligned she had to move the wheel a lot when driving on the freeway. Now it doesn't require nearly as much steering as before and she doesn't have to have two hands on the wheel all the time when driving. Hope the alignment fixes your issue!

I think the best way to describe the change comes from my wife, who drives the car as her primary car, she said that before we had the car properly aligned she had to move the wheel a lot when driving on the freeway. Now it doesn't require nearly as much steering as before and she doesn't have to have two hands on the wheel all the time when driving. Hope the alignment fixes your issue!

I hadn't though of an alignment issue because the car doesn't "pull" (even a little bit) left or right. It just feels the way your wife describes it: more two handed driving and more "steering" than I'm used to on the highway. Thanks.

I hadn't though of an alignment issue because the car doesn't "pull" (even a little bit) left or right. It just feels the way your wife describes it: more two handed driving and more "steering" than I'm used to on the highway. Thanks.

Alignment isn't only for "pull", although I had a Toyota dealer who seemed to think so. Stability in crosswinds and uneven pavement is also related to alignment.