Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sonos sound systems and Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been a huge Sonos fan, and own almost everything they make (new playbar is awesome!). But when I heard that the Model S sound package isn't that great I was disappointed. But, then I thought, "Tesla should team up with sonos!". Since the Model S has 3G it could really optimize what sonos does. Sonos really has the best quality speakers out there, and they would probably sound even better in a Model S, Sonos's designers and engineers are really perfectionist and they wouldn't let the Model S fly away without having the best sound experience. I would expect them to put in a 2.5k system in with like 18 speakers and individual amps.
I think this would a match made in heaven, I am going to contact sonos tonight and see if they would be interested in doing any car things in the future.

Any thoughts?

CP

I've been a Sonos fan for about 5 years now. I can't speak to the quality of the speakers yet though. I have two powered amps and one passive that runs through my receiver. They all run to in ceiling speakers or outdoor speakers. The software is what I think separates Sonos. I am expecting the playbar to arrive today and the sub to arrive on Monday. I'm hoping they perform as well as you have described.

That being said, I think the options on the Model S will improve once they have the app store opened up. I'm imagining that Pandora and Spotify will want in on the action. I've had no problems selecting options for music between XM, Slacker (my favorite except for the annoying popping noise that comes from the front right speaker), and FM (I especially enjoy NPR with HD radio). I don't expect Sonos to jump into the auto market any time soon.

Just would like to update: got a response from sonos, they said that it was a good idea, but nothing else, the balance of the sonos speakers is great. I also have a amp, and their is defiantly a big difference between that and say a play 5. You'll love the playbar, you'll find yourself listening to music in between commercials!

Um, I love Sonos. I use Sonos to convert Apple Lossless bits to PCM and stream it to my audio system. But speaking as a person who's sunk 5 figures into my home audio speakers, Sonos does not even come close to making the best speakers.

As for the MS sound package, I'm very happy with it. See my review of it here: Audio: Sound System Quality? - Page 30

The summary is that:

1) it's not your typical "envelop you in sound" approach that most people are used to. It's more of a "put a soundstage in front of you" that you'd get with a home system.
2) It shines with well-engineered CD-quality audio. But I think typical real-world compression (Slacker, itunes store/match, Bluetooth streaming) strips out a lot of the information that the system needs to shine. So if you're going to play compressed audio through the system, it's worth listening to both systems to see if you think the sonic difference is worth paying for. Frankly, I doubt it will be. I don't think I'd pay $950 for what I hear when I play Slacker. But I'm quite happy with it when I play FLAC tracks ripped from CDs.