Thread: Burnt rubber smell with climate control on

Burnt rubber smell with climate control on

Today, I turned the heat up to 75 degrees F and noticed a terribly acrid smell akin to burnt rubber. Is that normal? Has anyone else noticed this?

Model S VIN #5785
    Quote Originally Posted by hvb View Post
    Today, I turned the heat up to 75 degrees F and noticed a terribly acrid smell akin to burnt rubber. Is that normal? Has anyone else noticed this?
    I know exactly what you are talking about. But to me it smells more like the smell of burning dust on a space heater the first time you turn it after it's been idle for a while. Mine is getting much less smelly after two and a half weeks and others have said it goes away after a while.
    http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/image...field_edit.gifReservation #16,132; delivered on 3-2-2013; 85 kWh non-perf, blue/black leather/obeche gloss, tech, sound, air susp, parcel shelf

I smelled that a bit back and it made me a little nervous as well. It didn't last for long, but I also turned down the heat so that may be why.
    Last edited by brianman; 2013-03-22 at 12:59 AM.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Anyone with baseboard electric heat in their homes will recognize this smell when you first start using them at the beginning of the heating season. This pretty much confirms Tesla is using resistive heating elements in the heating system.
    Delivered 03/09/2013

85kWh | Blue Metallic | Tan Leather | Obeche Wood Gloss | 19" Wheels | Pano Roof | Tech Pkg | Sound Studio | Air Suspension | Parcel Shelf | Twin Chargers

The opinions expressed here are to be taken as my own and do not represent those of anyone else, including my employer. Please do not copy anything I post outside of the TMC Forum without express permission.

I noticed this type of smell the 2nd day I had the car--when the temperature dropped and the heater came on. Freaked me out at first--except no warning lights came on and everything stayed operational. I'm suspecting it is the heater but will continue to monitor it. I have to take the car in for vibration from the air conditioner and I've added this to the order to be checked out.

Thread Information