Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S with GE Wattstation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any experience using the GE Wattstation with the Model S (via the J1772 adapter of course)? Leaning toward buying this to use with my Volt and MS when it arrives. Figured its a no brainer to work, but the more I hear of J1772s that aren't working with the adapter and MS, I'm beginning to get nervous.

Thanks!

There have been reported problems with the GE Wattstation and the Leaf. I don't think I'd chance it with my Model S (or even a Volt--if I had one).

Just put in a NEMA 14-50. You'll probably want to charge both cars at the same time anyway and it won't cost much extra to add a 14-50 because there will be little additional labour and the parts are inexpensive.

I am aware of the Leaf - GE Wattstation issues. The Wattstation was completely vindicated. It was a Leaf issue, which I believe Nissan has since corrected. There have been many Volt owners that have used the GE device trouble free.

I appreciate your feedback. But there are 2 reasons I don't just want a 14-50 or 6-50 outlet. And 1 reason why I am looking at the GE Wattstation specifically.

1. If I have just an outlet, I'd have to plug/unplug each EVSE for the respective cars each time I wanted to switch between them. Don't want to have to deal with that.

2. This one's a little more complicated. I've had to fight with my HOA (lorded over by some seriously FUD-fearing folks) for over a year just to get them to allow me to put something at my parking spaces (in a shared undergournd garage) to charge an electric vehicle. No big deal with the Volt as my wife has charging capabilities at her office and it can use gas when needed. But for me to get a full EV, I knew we'd have to have something. I finally got them to approve. But with about 10 stipulations. One of the stipulations is that the EVSE has to have a physical on/off switch (to stop the flow of electricity in case there is a fire). THis is just stupid. The only such EVSE I can find is the Wattstation. (Mind you the on/off button is there to limit vampire draw of the station, not for safety reasons as all J1772 EVSEs have automatic fault detection and cutoff as part of the J1772 spec. Thus all other EVSEs dont have such a button.) But since I found this one, I decided it wasnt worth the continued fighting, esp with my S arriving soon. ALso, onse stipulation is that the EVSE be UL listed, which by the way, the UMC isn't. The HPWC is, but I can't use that for the Volt.

So, again, thanks Jerry. But I'm sorta stuck with the GE Wattstation unless I can find another with an on/off switch. Or go another round with the HOA, which could delay things even further.

Also, BTW, my parking spaces are 300 linear feet (and 1 floor level down) from the power room in the garage. So the cost to run 240V conduit isn't trivial.

Hey Jomo,

The problems that you mention hearing about, could you point me to them? I know there was an issue with the plastic on the very first set of adapters not fitting perfectly, but other than that I have not hear of any issues with 1772s not working with the MS adapter.

The GE Wattstation sounds like a good solution for your HOA, I don't think you will have any issues with the S with it. If you are just looking for a first person check, I'll plug into my friends GE the next time I am by his place (he has had it for over a year for his Leaf).

One other idea if you wanted to go with another station type, many garage stations have a power disconnect, or breaker directly next to the station. This allows the same power down function they are asking for without needing a switch on the unit itself. If you wanted a different unit for a particular reason this might get you there within their rules, and having the ability to shut power off to fully reset a unit on the spot does come in handy at times.

Peter

Anyone have any experience using the GE Wattstation with the Model S (via the J1772 adapter of course)? Leaning toward buying this to use with my Volt and MS when it arrives. Figured its a no brainer to work, but the more I hear of J1772s that aren't working with the adapter and MS, I'm beginning to get nervous.

Thanks!

Edit: I just saw the SPX tread on here

Blue, yes, its been confirmed that the SPX and the Leaf EVSE don't work with the MS via the adapter. The SPX thread has the link to another thread I started where the Leaf EVSE issue was discussed.

The switch for the outlet is something I would have proposed as an alternate to the HOA if I couldnt find any EVSE witha physical on/off switch. They'dhave to consider something as they can't write a stipulation that cant be met. Actually I didn't know about the GE Wattstation having one, until they happened to list it (among many others that didn't) when I told them about not finding any.

But as the stipulation is written: the EVSE itslef must have an on/off switch.

If you could verify your MS does indeed work with the new J1772 adapter to charge your MS, that would be MUCH appreciated!!!

As an update: I just bought the GE Wattstation on Amazon yesterday. It'll ship to me this weekend. It was on sale for a day at $799 vs the normal $849. And as a bonus,it was Prime, so free 2 day shipping! They still have them in stock, but the sale was limited to only about 10 units which all sold out yesterday. (As an aside, I was shocked that as of 9am PT there were 5 available, and 3 hours later, I snagged the last one at that price, didn't think they'd sell out that fast.)

Anyways, I'm starting to get the permits with my contractor. Not sure how long permitting and install will take but i hop to have it installed within the next 3 weeks or so. I will plug it in via a 6-50 outlet.

Once installed, and once I get my MS, I will share my experience with it!

@Hobieman: I realize GE uses the Wattstation branding for some of their pedestal industrial units also. We're the ones at the mall that you used that type or the simple residential wall mount ones (if you could tell).

@bluetinc: given the above note to Hobieman, did you ever get a chance to test your MS with the Wattstation at your friend's? Would still love the confirmation on a residential unit. Thanks!

Anyways, I'm starting to get the permits with my contractor. Not sure how long permitting and install will take but i hop to have it installed within the next 3 weeks or so. I will plug it in via a 6-50 outlet.

Note that NEC 625.13 requires that the device be UL listed specifically for cord-and-plug connection to be legally connected via a 6-50, because it operates at greater than 125V, 15A.

For what it's worth, I stopped at a hotel that had a GE watt station during a road trip about a month ago and plugged in (not even realizing what it was). My model s had no issue and I charged successfully while I stayed overnight. Just another data point to add.

Do you know something I don't, or is it the other way around? (This is an honest question, as you know more about electrical code than I.)

The Wattstation is NEC 625 compliant and offers both 6-50 or hard wired installation options to my knowledge and according to this: http://www.lumossolar.com/content/pdf/GE-Watt-Station.pdf

Wait, I just remembered the UMC is not UL listed. So how does the UMC meet NEC 625 compliance when plugged into a 6-50 outlet?
Update on last question: NVM, saw your explanation. S as long as you aren't trying to hardwire the UMC, its ok. Well ok, except it still isn't UL listed if your HOA demands it as in my case.

Last edited:
Do you know something I don't, or is it the other way around? (This is an honest question, as you know more about electrical code than I.)

The Wattstation is NEC 625 compliant and offers both 6-50 or hard wired installation options to my knowledge and according to this: http://www.lumossolar.com/content/pdf/GE-Watt-Station.pdf

I really didn't know if it was listed for cord-and-plug use or not. Based on what you posted, it is UL listed for cord-and-plug, so it's all good.

It's against the NEC to hardware anything that's been listed for cord-and-plug only, and vice-versa, and NEC 625 applies extra scrutiny to EVSE equipment at more than 120V, 15A. Most of those pedestal units, for example, are listed only for hardwire operation. You're not permitted to attach a plug to them without breaking code.

Well, off topic, but I have to offer kudos to jomo25 for his diligence in overcoming obstacles to EV ownership.:biggrin:
Being an apartment dweller with two EVs and no ICE, I share his frustrations, but we get the job done.

Bill, thanks for the acknowledgement. And I'd say the same for you. As for my full story on this, I'll put it together eventually. But it really has been a long and difficult fight, and if there were any other car that remotely interested me, I would have given up a while back.

- - - Updated - - -

I really didn't know if it was listed for cord-and-plug use or not. Based on what you posted, it is UL listed for cord-and-plug, so it's all good.

It's against the NEC to hardware anything that's been listed for cord-and-plug only, and vice-versa, and NEC 625 applies extra scrutiny to EVSE equipment at more than 120V, 15A. Most of those pedestal units, for example, are listed only for hardwire operation. You're not permitted to attach a plug to them without breaking code.
From the installation instructions I've seen, it actually comes with the 6-50 plug attached for use. But it has instructions for opening it up and removing the 6-50 to use in hardwire applications.

I'll know tonight when I get home from work later. My order from Amazon arrived today.

300 linear feet of 4 gauge conduit (across garage and down one floor) to my parking spaces. A lockable disconnect box. A lockable 6-50 outlet. To the GE Wattstation between my 2 spaces. Supplying roughly 6.0kW or 3.0kW to our MS and Volt, respectively.

IMG_1527.jpg

Really need to get the MS windows tinted.

I am aware of the Leaf - GE Wattstation issues. The Wattstation was completely vindicated. It was a Leaf issue, which I believe Nissan has since corrected.
Some people have gotten a fix applied to their Leaf (see My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - GE WattStation Problem Thread (Was: Dead on Day 2 of use.) and few posts past it) but I'm unaware of the fix being universally rolled out (still). :/

My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Leaf not charging for second time is a newer post. I don't believe any TSB (which start with NTB) has been released. A diode gets blown on the OBC (on-board charger).