Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Rack Cover on Pano Roof broke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Soon after I got my car I accidentally broke one of the covers that flip up to expose the roof rack mounting points on the Pano roof. These covers are extremely delicate. Anyway, I took my car in to the Fremont service center to fix the creaking Pano roof problem and asked them to also fix the broken cover. Apparently they have to replace the entire panel which fortunately isn't too expensive ($100 for the part, $175 labor).

They said that they break frequently when buffing the cars. Anyway, in the process of replacing the panel they broke the front roof panel and I have been waiting since Wednesday to get the car back since they're having trouble getting the part. :mad:

I suspect that these covers will be redesigned in the future since they're so delicate. The plastic hinge part is extremely thin inside and easily snaps.

So a word of warning, be extremely careful opening them or when buffing the roof.

-Aaron

I would hope they eventually offer without roof rack mounting, I think many would prefer the cleaner look - and that way there would be panels without the little covers so I could pay to change mine out, I would like the cleaner look and will never have a roof rack :)

Side note - we were a minivan family, been through 6, and every one had a roof rack (since I bought what was on the lot), always an option that cost $, but it was never used...

I broke one of these covers and used the old one as a template to make a new one out of 1/8" clear plexi-glass. I made it a press fit and cut a small notch on one side to allow a small flat screw driver to pry it off. After fitting was complete, I painted it black on the underside. This created a gloss finish and a 1/8" clear coat to protect the paint. As the others break I will continue to make more replacements like the one mentioned above.