Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Keyboard and Mouse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

trils0n

2013 P85
Feb 12, 2013
Earth
I just tried plugging my Microsoft USB mouse into the car's USB port and it works. I get a little blue circular cursor, and can scroll by holding click and dragging.

Also tried my Microsoft ergonomic keyboard, but that didn't work. I feel like that keyboard might be too much (it's certainly too big to be useful in the car), so maybe I'll buy a little barebones keyboard and see if that works.

Anyone had luck with plugging in a keyboard?

IIRC Bluetooth keyboard (and mouse?) also works nicely. May be even more convenient. I definitely plan on having a small Bluetooth keyboard in my glove box, if only for the added nerdiness... but I need to get my car first! :-/

The latter. I'm pretty sure someone tried and it worked immediately. Unfortunately I have yet to try it for myself, since I still don't have my car (living in Europe).
Ok, well I tried it tonight and wasn't able to get it to work. The car found both devices, and after 10 seconds or so, even showed the names of the devices, but I couldn't get it to connect to either one. I'll try it again tomorrow night when I have a little more time and see if I can get either of them to pair.

IMG_20130321_215843.jpg
IMG_20130321_220016.jpg

I was able to get multiple mice and keyboards (both wired and wireless w/usb receivers) to work though. I uploaded a few short videos to show what it looks like. Sorry for the poor lighting and camera work.

https://plus.google.com/photos/114618431833797684334/albums/5858037228786947905

Which wireless keyboards worked? Has anyone tried a travel USB hub yet?

I should've been more specific... I tried two wired mice (both Microsoft), one Logitech cordless mouse (VX Nano), and one wireless keyboard/trackpad (link). I can try some more, but I would imagine most keyboards and mice will work the same. I don't have a USB hub.

I plugged a Kensington trackball directly into the USB socket several times and got nada.

The mice didn't quite work right away. I couldn't see a cursor at first, but the scroll wheel was working in Google Maps on the first or second one. After plugging and unplugging a few different mice, the cursor showed up, and thereafter, all the mice worked.