Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Wheel Sets now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wycolo

May 16, 2012
WA & WY
Found a nice front rim for the Roadster. Clears the caliper and summer Yoko 175/55/r16 AD07s. Seems likely that snow Yoko 195/50/r16 iG20s will also fit, but this is only a guess. Accepts stock Roadster lug bolts exactly. Made by MOMO and available thru Discount Tires and maybe others. Of the two styles I chose 'winter pro' since it has only 5 spokes and looks 'just' like the Pontiac G6 rims I've been running on the rear. Specs of this rim: silver only, 6.5x16 +40 offset 5x110mm centerbore= slightly larger than the 65.1mm stock. Weight = 20 lbs. The other style from MOMO is ten spokes in either flat black or silver, everything else the same. Called 'winter' due to smooth surfaces easy to clean. This also means that Discount orders these for fall sales, so grab the few remaining at this time. They show 4 sets (of 4) remaining as of 2 days ago. Free pick up at store or they can UPS to you on your nickel.

Same rims come in a 17x7.0 +40 ET for the rear of the Roadster in either silver or flat black. Exact oem G6 size so no issues expected. On order- will post photo of the full set when mounted.
--

Roadster-Momo&G6oem.JPG

Last edited:
Noticed that stock Roadster bolts only go in 5 turns with the Momos (either rim) rather than the 8 turns into stock rims. Since 8 turns seems like a logical minimum to have, we can either drill out the excess aluminum with a tapered drill, or buy longer bolts. Keeping 2 sets of bolts deemed a nuisance, so I'll try to get a drill of proper diameter and taper angle. Shaving the WMS would also do the same thing but then you would provoke clearance issues with the calipers, so no to that.
--

BIMECC (Italy) makes the OEM lug bolts for the Roadsters with 26mm shank length. These MOMOs require 30mm shank but US distributor is out of stock. He is ordering 100 pieces of the 30mm (or 32mm if necessary). These will be identical in every other way to the OEM. Can finally replace those 4 pesky 'wheel lock' lug bolts. Six to 8 weeks.
--

Noticed that stock Roadster bolts only go in 5 turns with the Momos (either rim) rather than the 8 turns into stock rims. Since 8 turns seems like a logical minimum to have, we can either drill out the excess aluminum with a tapered drill, or buy longer bolts. Keeping 2 sets of bolts deemed a nuisance, so I'll try to get a drill of proper diameter and taper angle. Shaving the WMS would also do the same thing but then you would provoke clearance issues with the calipers, so no to that.
--

You are much smarter to buy new bolts. Just to add a little safety factor to this discussion (nerd factor?), you don't use a "drill" to create or deepen a countersink. There are about 5 different common countersink angles although most metric bolts use 90 deg. You would need to measure it and acquire a countersink tool of the right size. It's also doubtful that deepening the hole would be safe. The wheels were probably designed to have a minimum amount of material under the bolts. If they were not all bored exactly alike, you would create a stress concentration that might eventually fail. I'm not trying to let the air out of your tires... Just providing some info...

The extra-long BIMECC 'tuner' lug bolts finally arrived so these MOMO rims can be attached by the stock # of threads. Set of 20 from OtisIncLA.com: 23mm O.D. 30mm, instead of the OEM 26mm threaded length. Overall length = 55.5mm instead of the OEM 52mm. 1-888-RAD-BOLT -or- 855-684-7462. They got 4 more sets (of 20 bolts) in case anyone else has gotten these MOMOs for their Roadster. OTIS of course has a whole catalog of lug bolts, lug nuts and wheel accessories esp for Euro Cars.

The OEM Pontiac G6 rims are exact fit on Roadster rear. No exact fit available for Roadster front except Tesla's rims. The MOMOs are one size wider than OEM and seem to work fine.
--

I'm looking at following setup, wondering if it would fit (especially on the suspension strut side):

18x7.5 ET40 wheels with 225/35R18 MPSS tires in the rear
17x7 ET37 wheels with 205/40R17 MPSS tires in the front