Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended window tinting in NoVa (or Richmond)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a few places around here, but I'm not sure of their expertise -- would certainly prefer someone who's already done a Tesla. Can anyone recommend a window tinter in NoVa?

If you don't mind driving to Ellicot City, MD. Proform Protective Films does a great install on Windows tints. I had Blue 80 put on the windshield and 40 grade put on side windows and rear. Rob is the owner and can be reached at 410-750-8370.

I also had him put Xpel protection on most of the car and am very please with the results of both.

I used Sunshine Control in Sterling. I had them wrap the front end (full hood and fenders), wrap the rear bumper, and tint all the windows except the windshield. He uses 3M products so I went with the Crystalline. He's doing another Model S today, I believe Dockt's. I went to look at the progress on Wednesday and the tint looked amazing. Talk to Santino and tell him Tim sent you. His prices were reasonable.

Sunshine Control Window Tinting Virginia - about us

(703)679-8468

Last edited:
tegibso or dockt-

Do either of you have pics of the work that Sunshine Control in Sterling did for your cars? I'm picking mine up at the end of next week and I'm wanting to get tinted and looking for recommendations from others. Also if you are comfortable sharing overall cost?

What level of tint did you go with for rear, side-back, and side-front?

Thanks.

tegibso or dockt-

Do either of you have pics of the work that Sunshine Control in Sterling did for your cars? I'm picking mine up at the end of next week and I'm wanting to get tinted and looking for recommendations from others. Also if you are comfortable sharing overall cost?

What level of tint did you go with for rear, side-back, and side-front?

Thanks.

I'm curious as well; same boat.

- - - Updated - - -

I used Sunshine Control in Sterling. I had them wrap the front end (full hood and fenders), wrap the rear bumper, and tint all the windows except the windshield. He uses 3M products so I went with the Crystalline. He's doing another Model S today, I believe Dockt's. I went to look at the progress on Wednesday and the tint looked amazing. Talk to Santino and tell him Tim sent you. His prices were reasonable.

Sunshine Control Window Tinting Virginia - about us

(703)679-8468

Went to an unconfigured voicemail box :\

Sorry, I just realized my camera settings were making the pictures blue. I can post some better pictures later if anyone wants to see them.

uploadfromtaptalk1368482905790.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1368482921097.jpg

I had the entire front end and rear bumper wrapped with 3m Scotchgard (Venture shield for the full hood) and the windows tinted with 3m Crystalline with the darkest for VA (I think). I have one spot he is going to fix where the wrap didn't seem to take. I think he charges around $650 for the tint. I paid around $2300 for all of it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I went with tegibso's recommendation for Sunshine Control as well. $550 for 3M Crystalline 50 all the way around (sorry tegibso) as my car is black and I did not want a blacked out look by going darker on the tint. I would go to 40 for any other color Model S, imo. The phone number above works for me (just called Santino there). Same tint in both pics here, just different angles and it always looks lighter where you can see through to the other side.
e2ahajyt.jpg

yqe4a4eq.jpg

Also keep in mind, as posted elsewhere, 3M Crystalline on the trunk window has a reddish sheen in direct sunlight. It doesn't bother me at all.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen. This is the first I've heard about the reddish sheen... sounds like it might be hard to capture in a pic, but do you know if anybody has? If there are other posts that anybody is aware of discussing it, or alternatives that don't do this, I'd be highly interested.

Nice looking rides you have there!

Very nice! Ill try calling again tomorrow.

I was planning 50 on all doors and 35 on the rear and pano. Maybe I should change that to 40? I think the limit in VA is 50 for the front though.

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen. This is the first I've heard about the reddish sheen... sounds like it might be hard to capture in a pic, but do you know if anybody has? If there are other posts that anybody is aware of discussing it, or alternatives that don't do this, I'd be highly interested.

Nice looking rides you have there!

Rear Window Tint Reddish Color

Andrew, I believe there is only a 40 for 3MC, not 35. The heat rejection of the Crystalline is very nice (perceived and advertised) and much appreciated on my black car. Would consider doing 70 on my windshield but never know if it will crack for some reason.

Now that I have my ride... I'm digging back in to this... thanks for the input thus far.

As it appears that Sunshine Control uses 3M Cyrtalline which has the reddish tint I'm not sure I care for... I'm looking for alternates. Ellicut City is a bit far for me howevr...

A friend recommended LA Tint in Sterling VA, and they use "Formula ONE" tint film. Any comments on either the product or the installer? The tint looks good in his Audi A5...

I work up in Rockville MD (not too far from the Svc Ctr) ... so if anybody has installers near there they recommend I'd be interested.

Thanks again.

Andrew, I believe there is only a 40 for 3MC, not 35. The heat rejection of the Crystalline is very nice (perceived and advertised) and much appreciated on my black car. Would consider doing 70 on my windshield but never know if it will crack for some reason.

You are correct. I ended up with 40 on the doors and back, and 70 on the pano. It doesn't appear that red to me, but then again I have a red car.