Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

February 2013 EV sales

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a bit late with this thread, but better late than never. ;)

Sales for Norway:

Electric car sales:
Car brand/model:February:January:2013 YTD:February 2012:2012:
Nissan Leaf:2872655522142298
Mitsubishi i-MiEV:31518253665
Peugeot iOn:8122024407
Citroen C-Zero:481217513
Mia Electric:303011
Think:112118
Total:3343376713093949
Percent of total sales:2.950%2.895%2.922%2.829%2.862%

Plug-in hybrid sales:
Car brand/model:February:January:2013 YTD:February 2012:2012:
Opel Ampera:412162158
Fisker Karma:10106
Total:512172341
Percent of total sales:0.044%0.103%0.074%0.018%0.247%

Full figures for 2012

Sales are stable, it seems, but it seems the more capable Leaf is stealing the sales from the i-MiEV/iOn/C-Zero. This might change as the temperature rises and the smaller cars get more useable range again.

Last edited:
Perhaps we should start tracking the "Tesla : all other EVs combined" ratio.

Wow, I guess I never really looked at the 'EV-only' numbers. I had always really been looking at Volt vs Tesla. Volt's numbers are over 20,000/year now. But that's a hybrid, obviously, not an EV. When looking at the EV-only numbers, Tesla is literally outpacing everyone else by a factor of at least 5+ to one. Considering it's no cheap car and literally 3-4-5x more expensive than the other ones, that's great for Tesla but REALLY sad for everyone else. I love Tesla, but I really hope that other manufacturers try to think outside the box a little bit and come up with new EV designs. Clearly nobody really wants any of those other EVs...

Wow, I guess I never really looked at the 'EV-only' numbers. I had always really been looking at Volt vs Tesla. Volt's numbers are over 20,000/year now. But that's a hybrid, obviously, not an EV. When looking at the EV-only numbers, Tesla is literally outpacing everyone else by a factor of at least 5+ to one. ...

No, not really.
The above numbers are for Norway. Tesla is not yet selling in the Model S and the Roadster is pretty much done.
While I expect Model S will outsell the Leaf this year in the US,worldwide the Leaf will outsell the Model S. Remember, worldwide sales of the S is production limited, the Leaf not so much.

No, not really.
The above numbers are for Norway. Tesla is not yet selling in the Model S and the Roadster is pretty much done.
While I expect Model S will outsell the Leaf this year in the US,worldwide the Leaf will outsell the Model S. Remember, worldwide sales of the S is production limited, the Leaf not so much.
Re: Global/worldwide sales for Volt, LEAF, and PIP

Several articles out but this seemed to be the source:
GM’s Chevy Volt Outsold Nissan Leaf Last Year, BNEF Says - Bloomberg
GM’s Chevy Volt Outsold Nissan Leaf Last Year, BNEF Says
By Siddharth Philip - Mar 12, 2013 10:01 AM CT
Deliveries of the Volt more than tripled to 30,090 units in 2012, the top seller among vehicles that need to be plugged in to a socket for recharging, according to yesterday’s report. It was followed by Toyota’s plug-in Prius, whose first-year sales of 27,181 units exceeded the 25,435 units of the Leaf, the leader in 2011, according to the report.
<snip>
Nissan, Japan’s second-largest automaker, said this week it’s putting its electric-vehicle business under the direct supervision of the chief operating officer. While it’s fallen behind the Volt, the Leaf in January became the first car in its category to reach cumulative sales of 50,000 units.

GM is working on an electric car that has a range of as much as 200 miles as the company targets having half a million vehicles on the road by 2017 with some form of electrification, Chief Executive Officer Dan Akerson said this month.

Last edited:
Do you know when the Renault Zoe will arrive in Norway ?
In France the Renault is the EV making the most registration for 2 month in a row (roughly 500 registration per month), far ahead of the Leaf (like almost 10 folds).
The Zoe should arrive 3rd quarter 2013. But I doubt it will be wildly popular. The reason is that it will be too expensive relative to the competition due to the payment model. The battery rental is subject to VAT, unlike a battery purchase, so that adds 25% to the battery price, and then there are the administration costs, profit etc.

The rental price for the Twizy battery was just made public, at 549 norwegian kroner per month for 36 months/7500 km annually. That's $95/month, and for the Zoe that works out to around $150/month for 36 months/12500 km, using the same conversion factor as in France.

The Zoe should cost around 175,000 kroner ($30,200), also using the same conversion factor between France and Norway, based on Twizy pricing. For 5 years, that works out to a total cost of the car and battery of $39,200, for 10 years the cost is $48,200 and for 15 years the cost is $57,200.

A Leaf costs $37,900, and a replacement battery will probably not cost much more than $10,000 in 8 years, so over 15 years the Zoe will probably cost around $10,000 more than the Leaf.

The Zoe is smaller than the Leaf, more expensive, doesn't support CHAdeMO, the charger doesn't support three-phase 230V IT, you're stuck with obscene battery rental transfer fees if you want to resell the car ($2000 i Denmark for the Fluence), etc. It is of course a perfectly decent car, so it should sell better than the i-MiEV, but it's unlikely to sell as well as the Leaf.

Last edited:
Are you sure that's what you have? In my understanding only Norway and Albania has 230V IT. The Zoe charger only supports 400 V TN when it comes to three phase, as far as I know.

Old houses in Spain had 220/125 V. I keep it to not change wires connexions, because I use phase-phase to get 230 V. If I as my utility to switch to 400 V, I may provide a neutral to each plug... It isn't worth it.

the ZOE charger is Y connected = 230V phase to neutral whereas you have Delta 230V phase/phase but same voltage.

Oh, that's perfect then. It's the same way I connect my well pump and swimming pool motor.