Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doesn't regen make AC power? How can my car handle 60 kilowatts of juice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SuperCoug

Model S Res #7734
Mar 16, 2012
Bothell, WA
My 60 kWh Model S is equipped with a single 10,000 watt AC on board charger which (as I understand it) converts AC power from the plug and to DC power to store in the battery.

The Model S has an AC motor so doesn't it produce AC electricity during regen braking? If so, how can my car possibly handle 60,000 watts of AC power during full regen? If it can handle that much AC power from regen why can't it handle that much shore power?

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question or has been explicitly address elsewhere.

Yes, the same way it takes DC from the batteries and converts it into AC for the motor, just in reverse. In the earliest Roadsters they actually used this to charge the car but it had some problems so they went to a dedicated charging circuit.

My 60 kWh Model S is equipped with a single 10,000 watt AC on board charger which (as I understand it) converts AC power from the plug and to DC power to store in the battery.

The Model S has an AC motor so doesn't it produce AC electricity during regen braking? If so, how can my car possibly handle 60,000 watts of AC power during full regen? If it can handle that much AC power from regen why can't it handle that much shore power?

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question or has been explicitly address elsewhere.

omg, I thought about this exact design issue today! Classic. Yep I bet the inverter is utilized.

Yes, the same way it takes DC from the batteries and converts it into AC for the motor, just in reverse. In the earliest Roadsters they actually used this to charge the car but it had some problems so they went to a dedicated charging circuit.

The Renault Zoe is said to be doing this - using the drive inverter for plugged in charging, which gives it a cheap 43kW 3-phase charger called "Chameleon charger". There have been many disussions as to why Tesla went the route of s separate AC charging system but that's also how most (all) other EV's except the Zoe does it.

So, inverters ARE reversible? I did not know this. We used to call AC to DC a TR (transformer rectifier). If it only did AC to DC would it still be an inverter?
A EE boffin/nerd would have to chime in on what it's called. I agree that historically DC->AC is an inverter and AC->DC is a rectifier but Tesla's (and every other EV that I know of) has an "inverter" and it can work in both directions. There's a little bit of detail here:
Power inverter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia