Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Centralia, WA Burgerville Model S to Roadster HPC adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

v12 to 12v

Jul 10, 2012
The Roadster HPC to Model S Adapter arrived and I will be picking it up on Monday. I'm going to order another one for myself for road trips and make this one available for permanent placement at the 70A Roadster HPC in Centralia at Burgerville.

If you are still interested in kicking in some money for the adapter you can e-mail me via my TMC ID. I'll reply with more details and information as it comes in.

P.S. Be sure to pick up a jar of Burgerville's secret sauce while you are there. It is only available seasonally and it is THE best.
The same is true for their Walla Walla Sweet Onion Rings.

That's a great solution that should make everybody happy. (Well, I may be slightly annoyed if I get there in my Roadster and find a Model S using it; but I'll still be mostly happy that the HPC is getting more use). Thanks, v12. Remind us here when the adapter is at Burgerville, and we'll get all the charging maps updated to note the adapter is available.

Once there's a Supercharger in Centralia, all Model S owners will use the Supercharger and the Burgerville HPC may revert to being just for Roadsters, with no waste because there was no extra equipment. Except for your second adapter, but you could probably find a buyer for that. Or ask for donations again and we can put it somewhere else, like Ferndale or Ellensburg if Superchargers aren't in those directions yet. Or Eugene or Canyonville or Yreka or Orland...

If you find yourself going another direction and need an adapter before your second one arrives, you are still welcome to borrow mine.

Bonnie, Chad, others...
If you have any contacts at Tesla, if they're not planning on putting "and more" (HPWC, 40+A, etc.) chargers at the supercharger locations on their own .. perhaps they might be interesting in offering up the option for owners to donate some at their SC locations.

I just spoke with a representative of Burgerville. He recalls that the Roadster HPC station in Centralia was a cooperative situation between Burgerville and Tesla. Tesla provided the charging station and Burgerville provided for the installation of the charger because Tesla Roadster owners needed a boost to make it between Seattle and Portland.

Burgerville USA agreed to install the Roadster HPC because Tesla’s mission was symbiotic with Burgerville’s mission, vision and culture.

They are going to put me in contact with their Facilities Director so that we can install a storage box for an adapter.

Here is an excerpt from their web page that is located here:

The Business Case Burgerville

Wind Power
From the beginning, it has been Burgerville’s intention to demonstrate the regional value of sustainable business practices so that other local partners, colleagues, peers, employees and guests could see the return in making a similar commitment. Wind technology has come a long way since the early 1970s, and Burgerville has been at the forefront of adopting this in each of their restaurants and corporate headquarters. Burgerville’s executive leadership team personally enrolled in a renewable energy program with their local utility provider and later had a company meeting during which representatives from three different utility companies further educated the management team and encouraged implementation within their restaurant teams, families and friends.
Burgerville purchases 100 percent renewable wind power credits equal to the total energy use in 39 Burgerville locations and its corporate headquarters.
Burgerville purchases its renewable “clean” wind power from large-scale wind farms located throughout the region, and the company only purchases wind power from energy providers that are environmentally sensitive to their locales. The slow-motion, large windmills create a significant amount of energy while also being animal friendly. Many businesses and individuals throughout the community have joined Burgerville in its pledge to alternative sustainable practices by adopting wind power. Wind power represents the opportunity to help preserve natural resources and sustain clean rivers, vital forests, abundant wildlife and clean air, all in the interest of healthy, thriving communities.

(This is also posted at Tesla Motors)

The Roadster to Model S adapter and the total charge for the adapter was $711.75. So far 16 people have expressed interest in sharing the adapter at Burgerville, Centralia. That brings the cost to under $50 per person for the adapter. But we still have the expense of securing the adapter at Burgerville.

The Seattle Service center mentioned that there was a Roadster HPC to Model S adapter at the Bellevue Store parking area and it quickly grew legs and never returned. They strongly encouraged me to find a way to secure the cable and limit access to it.

The cable should be protected from the elements. It seems that the best plan would be to have a locking box with a cable to secure the adapter to the lock box. I have been looking into some options for this. If you see something that looks like a good option, please let me know. So far the options that I have looked at have been relatively expensive and it looks like it will add around $150 to the cost. That brings us back up to about $50 per person with 16 people on board.

It seems that 15” to 16” square lockable box would adequate for containing the adapter and protecting it from the elements. The box would need to be 4.5” to 5” deep to accommodate the Roadster end of the plug. We need to make sure that there are no trip hazards associated with securing or using our adapter.

I have been talking with Burgerville headquarters and they gave me the name of the person that would be in charge of authorizing our installation of a locking enclosure. Apparently, Burgerville paid for the installation of the Roadster HPC that is there now because it aligned with their sustainability and community relations programs.

We do need to keep in mind that the charger was put in place to serve the Roadsters because they need that boost to make it between Portland and Seattle.

Let me know by PM if you would like to be added to the adapter share list. Every additional person brings down the cost significantly.

Just found these: http://www.bisonprofab.com/overstock-enclosures.htm
005.JPG
InsideCabinet.jpg
Part Number: Summit Enclosure/Small
Description: 18" H x 16" W x 5" D NEMA 1 Wall Mount Cabinet
Construction: Fabricated from 16Ga. steel, ANSI gray powder coat Note: Enclosure does not include key lock
Finish Quality: Fair - Small Blemishes
Current Quantity Available: 4
Unit Price (FOB our plant): $35.00

That plus a combo key box to hold the key in mounted right next to it would work out great I think. Does the cable really need to be secured to the cabinet? That seems unnecessary and a hazard.
The combo to the key box could be given out to all who pay via PM.
I would be happy to contact this place and see if they still have them in stock and get one on order.

- - - Updated - - -

Just thought of something. If we were to attach the adapter to the HPC with about a 2 feet cable like aircraft covered cable with two loops one on each end. Attach the two together so that the adapter can be in the cabinet locked and the security cable can go through a notch in the bottom of the cabinet. The HPC cable could then go through that and be used normally as long as the cabinet was close enough. I am thinking that if this works out it could be duplicated in all the locations that have HPCs. It could even go at the Tesla locations to secure an adapter there as well.

How did you manage to get one? I've been trying to order one for 2 weeks and am told they are not available.

I ordered mine in early December.

- - - Updated - - -

It would definitely be better to secure the cable to something else, that would allow it to be used, without having to have a key or code. Then visiting model s people could it without having to do anything special too.

The problem with using just a cable to secure it is that it needs to be protected from the elements.
Also, there is a high rate of wire and metal theft in that area due to their depressed economy. It is a big adapter that is several feet long.

Adapter tested. Install progress update too.

Below is a list of the parties interested in sharing the Model S adapter for the Roadster HPC at Burgerville in Centralia. If you want to be added to this list let me know. This list includes parties from TM.

I tested the adapter yesterday and found that there are a few tricks to using it. I'll write a tip sheet for its use. The lock box is due to arrive Friday. I am not certain what day Burgerville will be installing it but they hope to have it installed within a week.

I can take payment via Paypal. Once I receive your payment then I can provide you the combination to the padlock and some instructions once the adapter is in place and in service.

The total is right at $50 per person after including the adapter, box, lock, shipping etc. If we do have a small overage due to later additions to this list I would like to propose that the extra funds be turned over to other roadster adapter projects in the PNW region. If we have a significant overage I could do some refunds to the original contributors.

I was asked to draft a letter to Burgerville stating that we would not hold them responsible if the adapter or box is damaged or lost. I can take care of that if there are no objections.

Burgerville said that they will leave the breaker on 24 hours a day.

You can PM me if you haven't already. That will make the collection of funds and identification of individuals easier for me.

Here are the participants so far:

Dr. Don 220
Bbryant
PilotSteve
Laryrob
Chd Up
Epley
Odenator
Hvb
Blurry Eyed
Thorts MD
Turbo Froggy
Anto Chat
Puyallup Bill
Kit
Douglas R
Captain_Zap
Seattle
PattiT
brianman
100th Monkey
Montana
deonb
This is also posted at TM.

Last edited:
Burgerville is working on installing the adapter storage box today.

If you sent a contribution for the Roadster HPC to Model S adapter via PayPal, you should have received a message from me via the e-mail address provided by PayPal.
If you did not receive a message from me, let me know.

After I confirm that the e-mail address provided by the PayPal transaction is adequate for distribution of information I will send you some tips on the use of the adapter.
Once the adapter is in place I will send you the combination for the box.

If I don't hear back from you via the PayPal address I'll seek you out by using any other contact information that you have provided.