Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Certified Pre-Owned Roadsters (sold by Tesla)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone bought one, and if so, what's the experience been? My main concern is that the 2 cars I'm looking hardest at have both been serviced more than a dozen times in 2-3 years. and even subtracting the annual check ups and the 1 recall, that seems like too many times.

I'm not looking for a high maintenance car, and Tesla tells me both that this car has few maintenance issues and costs, yet it's hand assembled, so more things can go wrong (and I guess have gone wrong).

And what's up with the tires? I'm being told the tires need to be replaced every 5-6000 miles. Is that true? Seems nuts.

How many miles does it have? Replacing the tires could be a fair number of those visits. I found the car drivetrain very reliable, but had visits for things like problems with the JVC nav. Tesla service is very responsive and it's easy to drop by, yet they document all of that so it doesn't seem crazy that someone could have gone in a dozen times in 2-3 years, without it meaning the problem had any serious issues. I made a lot of visits in my Roadster, but the paid visits were only for tires and annual service.

And what's up with the tires? I'm being told the tires need to be replaced every 5-6000 miles. Is that true? Seems nuts.[/QUOTE said:
Most of the slowing of the car is done by regeneration which affects only the rear wheels. That and the fact that it is SO much fun to accelerate "briskly" :biggrin: has got to mean that the rear tires are doing the lion's share of the work.

If it's a Roadster Sport with the Yokohama Advan A048 tires that were stock on it, that definitely sounds right. The only way to get really high performance out of a car is to put soft tires on it to give it lots of grip. With your average tire, you can't accelerate to 60 mph in 4 seconds.

On my Ariel Atom, which is fitted with the same A048 tires, the previous owner blew through two sets of rear tires (medium compound) in 5,500 miles. I went through another set of rears tires (medium hard compound) in the next 4,500 miles. The front tires are still the original medium compound tires and have a little more life left in them. With 10,000 miles on the Atom, it's time to find an empty parking lot and do some real burnouts before mounting the car's third set of replacement rear tires. On my sport bike, I would get about 8,000 miles on a set of tires, but always hear of people wearing out the rear tire in 1,000 miles (doing wheelies, etc...) 20 years ago, I spent more money per mile on tires than I did on gasoline for the motorcycle.

It's just something to be expected with high performance vehicles, but as was mentioned you have some control over that in how aggressively you drive. But, what's the fun in babying a vehicle that's meant to be driven? :)

"But, what's the fun in babying a vehicle that's meant to be driven"

Believe me I'm having fun, but I'm pushing my sprints and jolts further out in the higher MPH to reduce the wear on the tires! And I do have less downtime swapping out my rears and more time on the tarmac playing down the straights and turns!

Also as seen in previous posts, if you're jolting out all the time chances are someone's not going to gauge how fast these cars accelerate and will pull right in front of you. In some sense, you have to have the same mentality as a sport bike motorcycle rider.

I purchased a used Roadster 20 months ago and while there have been a few "issues" that would have been in the "repair" logs most have been minor. Such as needing an update to the firmware to charge at Nissan dealers, or replacement of the sill plates due to minor cracking or lumbar bladder valve that caused air to leak back out.

The only real problem was a connector issue where the accelerator position sensors were not making good contact. This took two visits to correct but Tesla stayed on it until the true problem was found. So while there have been a few minor issues overall I am very pleased with the car and it's quality. Especially for a car that so new and groundbreaking in so many ways.

Nice SPEAKING directly with you today. Hope some of my input helped. The Tesla Roadster has no equal! Faster than a Ferrari & Greener than a Prius! We look forward, if you so choose, to have you as part of the Tesla family and then to spread the word of the Tesla GRIN! Also, if you want to come speak with some of our local members, the TesLA LA Car Club can be found here: TESLA LA Club

Roadsters Certified Pre-Owned (sold by Tesla)

Certified Pre-Owned | Tesla Motors

Tesla has a new web page for pre-owned Roadsters, currently a list of 15 Roadtsers from $66,100 to $127,200.

Every certified pre-owned Roadster undergoes a 214-point inspection by our technicians to ensure that it's in like-new condition. This inspection includes all drive-related, appearance, and safety components, including:

Battery and drive inverter
Brakes
Interior detailing
Paint detailing
Firmware updates
Road test

Browse our inventory of certified pre-owned Roadsters to find one that's right for you.

Last edited:
Are there really no CPO roadsters available. I went back to the webpage and there are no results. When I was there a month or two ago there were 10-15 cars. They are selling like hotcakes. Awesome. Glad to see there is demand for these cars since I want to get one and demand means they will retain their value fairly well. Also glad to see the news about potential charging at the supercharger sites and also the potential availability replacement packs down the road are possible. Thanks Tesla.

Are there really no CPO roadsters available. I went back to the webpage and there are no results. When I was there a month or two ago there were 10-15 cars. They are selling like hotcakes. Awesome.

I think it's fabulous and amazing as well.

The recent spikes in the stock probably has a lot to do with the recent sell out of CPO Roadsters. Employees were probably able to vest their stock options, which no doubt caused a few CPO Roadster sales. At least a few that invested in, or before, early May probably made a pretty penny from the recent short squeeze. Cashing out even some of that stock could have paid for a Roadster, as well. (The stock practically doubled from $55.71 on May 7th to $110.33 on May 28th.)