Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC / UMC2 to Roadster adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want a Model S to Roadster adapter.
I would actually prefer a Model S inlet on my Roadster but I would settle for the adapter.

I want to use a Model S UMC for my Roadster on roadtrips and I want to be able to use Model S HPWCs when they exist in the wild.

I am tired of waiting for Tesla to offer a solution, I have no idea if they ever will. Who else is interested in doing it independently?

I am hopeful that with a large enough volume we could interest someone with the skills to make them at a reasonable price.

I agree - the Model S already outnumbers Roadsters, and soon will overwhelm them. I assume Model S owners will soon be installing enough HPWCs to overwhelm HPCs as well. So upgrading the Roadster, or at least giving it an adapter to use HPWCs, seems like the best solution. (Then we could change the HPCs in the wild to HPWCs, and all Tesla owners could use all Tesla chargers).

It doesn't look like Tesla is going to work on it any time soon - in fact, they have given no indication that they are thinking of doing it ever - so it will have to be a third-party solution.

Ouch. Yeah, that's an issue. If Tesla doesn't offer an adapter, they probably won't fix the bug. So maybe 3rd party is impossible.

Unless it's a smart one that also lowers the amps...but I think that will be more expensive than most of us would be interested in. I was hoping for just a dumb physical adapter.

Ouch. Yeah, that's an issue. If Tesla doesn't offer an adapter, they probably won't fix the bug. So maybe 3rd party is impossible.

Unless it's a smart one that also lowers the amps...but I think that will be more expensive than most of us would be interested in. I was hoping for just a dumb physical adapter.

I made a prototype a couple of months ago but then stopped working on it. And yes, it overcame the bug that prevented the Roadster from charging when the pilot was > 70A. If you can wait, I'm going to start working on this again at the end of April. I'm straight out with my regular job right now.

I stopped for several reasons. 1) We cancelled our Model S order and the nearest one is 1.5hrs away and it's helpful to have one of their chargers around. 2) It was a lot of work to get the "smart" part of it working reliably and I didn't know when Tesla would fix the bug and render all my work obsolete overnight. 3) My business is a bit seasonal and I'm straight out right now. The soonest I can start working on this again is late April. 4) I got sidetracked making a Roadster plug to J1772 connector (prototype only cuz I wanted one but probably not going to produce these). 5) I also got sidetracked making a Tesla II connector (Model S connector) because a lot of DIY types have asked me for that.

Can you wait a couple months?

this sounds like the solution. the fact that we have so many different plug types is already getting a bit crazy, especially considering how big the network would be here in WA/OR if only everything were compatible. We've got J1772, CHAdeMO, Roadster, Tesla S and all the Nema plugs). this lack of compatibility threatens to slow the advancement of the charging network due to indecision and duplication of resources, which threatens to tame enthusiasm for adoption of the cars. we are so close to saying we can go anywhere in WA and OR pretty conveniently if only for lack of compatibility and backwards compatibility. it's a bit frustrating. I would think that Tesla would see it as a big PR/marketing thing and step up the adapter production and keep the costs way down, even subsidize them. Having broad compatability through adapters will give those of us who are grappling with the EV skeptics a formidable tool to win arguments and minds.

I agree - the Model S already outnumbers Roadsters, and soon will overwhelm them. I assume Model S owners will soon be installing enough HPWCs to overwhelm HPCs as well. So upgrading the Roadster, or at least giving it an adapter to use HPWCs, seems like the best solution. (Then we could change the HPCs in the wild to HPWCs, and all Tesla owners could use all Tesla chargers).

It doesn't look like Tesla is going to work on it any time soon - in fact, they have given no indication that they are thinking of doing it ever - so it will have to be a third-party solution.

Problem is, you can't charge a Roadster on an 80 HPWC. There's a bug in the Roadster that causes it to not charge if the EVSE reports 80A. Tesla has never fixed it.

So maybe a breakout box in the Roadster trunk to highjack both signals? Sending a variable, but 75A max, signal to Roadster. And a variable request signal to EVSE. Both start at low levels of course. And our promise to use only with great restraint. :smile:
--

hcsharp
I would also like to be put on list for new adapter ....
i thought you got rid of roadster and got a S ...... Must be someone else on threads
J adapter is great so I'm sure this one will open new horizons for the fanatic few with east coast roadsters!!

hcsharp
I would also like to be put on list for new adapter ....
i thought you got rid of roadster and got a S ...... Must be someone else on threads
J adapter is great so I'm sure this one will open new horizons for the fanatic few with east coast roadsters!!

Still have my Roadster and no immediate plans to sell it. I work on this project a little bit every day between my day job and my family... One thing I've learned is that it's a big step between a prototype and something you can actually manufacture!

One thing I've learned is that it's a big step between a prototype and something you can actually manufacture![/QUOTE]

Words to live by ........
Ever go down to Boston and meet the head Ranger, Mat at the Service Center?
He is a good guy ............... liked the J adapter