Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Window Tint Reddish Color

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone who has tinted their windows noticed their rear window ending up having a reddish hue? A fellow owner kindly met me last night to show my his results using the 3M crystalline tint. The car looked awesome but the rear window had a rose colored hue to it unlike the other windows.

Is this due to the 3M crystalline or would any tint have the same result?

I have 3M Crystalline 40 and was just washing my car - when I sprayed the back windshield it looked very red, like the water was fruit punch, the way the sun was shining on it. The other windows do not seem red, and I never noticed the back looking red other than when I've sprayed water on it.

Maybe something to do with refraction and the back window already having a special treatment for the kids back there?

Ditto. 3M Crystalline 40 all around with that same blue/reddish hue on back window. I haven't made up my mind what to do about it yet. I am definitely going to get it replaced. I just haven't decided with what yet. go with 3M Color Stable 5% or 20% or perhaps just go with a different manufacturer.? I'm concerned whether or not 3M C.S. 5% or 20% would have the same problem, but so far I haven't heard of this from other other brand.

Have any of you done anything yet? What do you think I should do?

I have FormulaOne (Lluminar) Pinnacle (Ceramic) on my car, and no odd colors to be seen. I like it a lot, would recommend. I used 35 and seems quite dark.

You can see some color (rainbow/spectrum stuff) with polarized sunglasses, but nothing with the naked eye.

I have FormulaOne (Lluminar) Pinnacle (Ceramic) on my car, and no odd colors to be seen. I like it a lot, would recommend. I used 35 and seems quite dark.

You can see some color (rainbow/spectrum stuff) with polarized sunglasses, but nothing with the naked eye.

Is the rainbow effect visible if you are wearing polarized lenses and looking back through the rear view mirror while driving? Or just outside looking in? If so, would you say it's distracting at all? Rear visibility is already quite poor, and your comment got me a bit worried, because I also need to find a ceramic tint that will help with sun/heat for the kids in the trunk.

Is the rainbow effect visible if you are wearing polarized lenses and looking back through the rear view mirror while driving? Or just outside looking in? If so, would you say it's distracting at all? Rear visibility is already quite poor, and your comment got me a bit worried, because I also need to find a ceramic tint that will help with sun/heat for the kids in the trunk.

The rainbow w/ polarized really isn't really visible from the outside. It seems to project itself onto objects (rather than the window itself) when looking out. It seems to just discolor objects, red cars seem the worst to me. It is mildly distracting, but I find it less distracting than tilting my head 45 degrees and having the dash black out. It doesn't detract from visibility at all.

I really like polarized sunglasses, but am getting to the point (so many LED screens everywhere) that I just use them during outdoor activities.

I only know that because I have misplaced my driving sunglasses, and am using my backup pair. Which are polarized, but have a good scratch on them.

I'm thinking about going with the crystalline 3M stuff. I could be way off, but was thinking that maybe the red hue on the tint wouldn't look so bad on the red body? (Both signature red and new red) .... any thoughts?