Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opening charge port - spring fell off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a charge port that always has been hard to open. I had the car in for cleaning and the person cleaning found out he wanted to charge the car (I told him not to). He didn't know how to open the charge port so he used a tool to open it (I use my fingers).

When I took over the car, the charging port was very strange to open. When I demonstrated this to the cleaning person, the spring probably fell off since we heard a noise that could indicate this and the port felt different to use afterwards.

Now the charge port can be opened and closed, but it feels different as the spring is clearly not there.

Is it important that the spring is present?
How can this spring be inserted again (does the whole interior need to be removed to access it)?

I have a charge port that always has been hard to open. I had the car in for cleaning and the person cleaning found out he wanted to charge the car (I told him not to). He didn't know how to open the charge port so he used a tool to open it (I use my fingers).

When I took over the car, the charging port was very strange to open. When I demonstrated this to the cleaning person, the spring probably fell off since we heard a noise that could indicate this and the port felt different to use afterwards.

Now the charge port can be opened and closed, but it feels different as the spring is clearly not there.

Is it important that the spring is present?
How can this spring be inserted again (does the whole interior need to be removed to access it)?

Which spring? The one that pushes the latch out? Or the one on the hinge that pushes the door shut and holds it open? There's a foam gasket on the inside of the door that seals the electrical pins. It's important that it seals or you will get a lot of dirt in there which is bad for the electrical connections.

It is the spring that gives the charge port a nice feel, without this spring it feels strange.

Got instructions from Tesla Motors similar to what is suggested above. Also got price from Tesla Motors if they were to fix it here in Norway. The part was around USD 300 (they didn't have just the spring) and the labor around USD 200.