Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apple looks to bolster its iOS vehicle integration

Quote Originally Posted by Hasse View Post
    Ehh, no thanks. The thought that a buggy, trojan-infested smartphone could actually access stuff in my car is an absolute no-no.
    But then, Apple software or not, you should not use Bluetooth at all.

The computer for the driving functions of the car and for the geeky gadgets are two different things. I hope and assume that on the MS these are completely separate, as they are on other cars, afaik. So the worst that could happen is issues with the geeky-stuff software.
    This said (I am an IT security guy), if it is well done, there should be no way of transfering executable files to the car, or to somehow trigger execution of software on the car side, simply because the car listens only to specific functions that can be executed over Bluetooth. So even if your phone has malware, it would not go over to the car, and even less so to affect its driving functions.

Should. Because in this matter, you never know how creative some guys can be. Still, many people use Bluetooth in their cars today, but I've never heard of issues like this so far.

Quote Originally Posted by CeSinge View Post
    But then, Apple software or not, you should not use Bluetooth at all.

The computer for the driving functions of the car and for the geeky gadgets are two different things. I hope and assume that on the MS these are completely separate, as they are on other cars, afaik. So the worst that could happen is issues with the geeky-stuff software.
    This said (I am an IT security guy), if it is well done, there should be no way of transfering executable files to the car, or to somehow trigger execution of software on the car side, simply because the car listens only to specific functions that can be executed over Bluetooth. So even if your phone has malware, it would not go over to the car, and even less so to affect its driving functions.

Should. Because in this matter, you never know how creative some guys can be. Still, many people use Bluetooth in their cars today, but I've never heard of issues like this so far.
    Yes, I agree with most of your assumptions. And yes, people are creative. It doesn't have to be malware, but more likely a leaky app that eats all available memory and freezes the phone (and the car).

Quote Originally Posted by spatterso911 View Post
    Not to mention that the current Tesla touchscreen iteration is as close to "Apple-like" as it can get. Right down to the brushed metal background when you reset the 17" screen.
    On that note re: the metal background, iOS 7 is moving away from the Skeuomorph - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -ism that's been present in iOS 6 and prior. The removal of all that has been referred to as "deforestation" (in reference to Scott Forstall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, who supposedly liked skeumorphism).

Thread Information