Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Hilarious Thumbs-Down--a Model S first?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a hilarious thing happen on the commute home yesterday. I was getting lots of looks on the highway (just Zaino'd her on Sunday and she always gets more looks after that).

Suddenly, a beater of a crapmobile drives by me to the right. The car had an interesting 4-toned paint job (some panels had paint, some just had primer, some just had rust, and some were painted a completely different color).

The driver looked to be about 18, wearing big plastic sunglasses that looked like they'd just transported out of a bad 80s Vanilla Ice music video. (I halfway expected to see parachute pants. Props, MC Hammer).

So as he drove by, his head craned about 150 degrees back and to the left so he could see the car. (Dude...young grasshopper...please keep your damn eyes on the road!)

Anyway, he pulls about 50 feet ahead in his crapmobile, rolls down the window, sticks his hand out, and gives a thumbs down.

I literally BURST out laughing. I was somewhat tempted to pull up next to him and then lay down some rubber on the road next to him, but my momentary relapse of immaturity waned and I just continued to laugh.

He either:

a) was super anti-EV (I love me some engines, even in 130 hp rice burners with gigantic spoilers),
b) was a douchebag (sorry for the French!),
c) was jealous since he's still driving the rejected salvage yard junker his older sister handed down to him to drive for his remaining years in high school (and it seemed like he had probably 4 or 5 years to go until graduation), or
d) had some silly extremist right-wing anti-Tesla political views.

My guess is that (a), (b), and (c) apply. Gotta be honest...he didn't seem smart enough for me to even consider (d) as a remote possibility.

Anywho, despite the hilarity of the situation, this got me wondering if this was the first time someone went out of their way to give the car a thumbs-down. Funny. :tongue:

Why are anti Tesla views "right wing"???

"Extreme" was the key word. Popular far right-wing view is to bad-mouth government loans to green energy companies. Recall a certain presidential candidate bad-mouthing Tesla during a presidential debate? Some people are anti-Tesla merely because they took a government loan (which many people mistakenly believe was a "bailout".

Disclaimer: I am a registered Independent, and have been my entire life. I hope this thread doesn't become a political discussion.

He either:

a) was super anti-EV (I love me some engines, even in 130 hp rice burners with gigantic spoilers),
b) was a douchebag (sorry for the French!),
c) was jealous since he's still driving the rejected salvage yard junker his older sister handed down to him to drive for his remaining years in high school (and it seemed like he had probably 4 or 5 years to go until graduation), or
d) had some silly extremist right-wing anti-Tesla political views.

... or hilariously ironic

I actually worry about a, b, c, and d's scratching or damaging my car.

I have zero range anxiety but a fair amount of rage anxiety about left, right, or independent nutjobs that burn SUV's (my Tahoe) and key "GAs4eVr" into EV's (my Tesla) for fun. I can't win either way depending on what I drive.

Kind of wish the battery was hooked up to the aluminum in a soft of electric fence kind of way . . .

I have zero range anxiety but a fair amount of rage anxiety about left, right, or independent nutjobs that burn SUV's (my Tahoe) and key "GAs4eVr" into EV's (my Tesla) for fun. I can't win either way depending on what I drive.

Kind of wish the battery was hooked up to the aluminum in a soft of electric fence kind of way . . .
Is this an actual problem for EV owners??

Is this an actual problem for EV owners??

Not that I know of but I will say this: worry is negative goal setting, you attract what you think about the most. Just be sensible about where you park. This car will cost 10 times any previous car that I have owned so it will get looked after but at the same time it will get used. I am not going to worry about taking my car out because of what some idiot might do.

I actually had a situation last week where I took my son to his piano lesson in Sunnyvale, CA. Parked my Model S on the street. I came back 30 minutes later and someone clearly threw a blue ice drink of some sort at my drivers' side door. No possibility it was an accident. I wasn't blocking anyone and hadn't done anything provocative (fast driving in neighborhood, etc...). I've parked on the same street every week for a few years in a BMW 750Li, so not a matter of someone hating expensive cars.

Given the super positive feedback I've gotten on this car otherwise and my overall enjoyment in driving it, it was just an overall very strange experience more than anything and I fully assume it was someone in one of the 4 categories mentioned above.

I actually had a situation last week where I took my son to his piano lesson in Sunnyvale, CA. Parked my Model S on the street. I came back 30 minutes later and someone clearly threw a blue ice drink of some sort at my drivers' side door. No possibility it was an accident. I wasn't blocking anyone and hadn't done anything provocative (fast driving in neighborhood, etc...). I've parked on the same street every week for a few years in a BMW 750Li, so not a matter of someone hating expensive cars.

Given the super positive feedback I've gotten on this car otherwise and my overall enjoyment in driving it, it was just an overall very strange experience more than anything and I fully assume it was someone in one of the 4 categories mentioned above.

Very strange situation and behavior from the driver who threw the drink on your car.

I assume that people that work in a rapair garage or an ICE car factory and get less and less orders could think about that it could be Teslas fault.

Very easy and absurd thinking, but that can happen.

I have the same concern. I live in a very republican area and actually had someone take a key to my Obama sticker and the paint under it.

Why are anti Tesla views "right wing"???
Because the vast majority of anti-Tesla people are right wing. Hell, it was a right wing talking point in the presidential debates.

You'll be very hard pressed to find anti-Tesla people on the other side. You might find apathy, but you won't find crowds of lefties cheering as their candidate calls Tesla a loser on national television.

Last edited:
Because the vast majority of anti-Tesla people are right wing. Hell, it was a right wing talking point in the presidential debates.

You'll be very hard pressed to find anti-Tesla people on the other side. You might find apathy, but you won't find crowds of lefties cheering as their candidate calls Tesla a loser on national television.

Stroke with a broad brush lately?

And the same candidate spoke out against the GM bail out.

So "right wingers" are anti ICE?

Just think about it for a second before you respond.

haters.jpeg

Stroke with a broad brush lately?

Someone asked why anti-Tesla views were viewed as "right wing". Quite simply because it's the right wing that was very visibly anti-Tesla in the most recent election. That's simply what happened. I didn't create that brush.

Note that it's a one way implication, since maybe that was your point with the broad brush statement. Anti-Tesla folks tend to be on the right wing, that does not mean right wing folks are all anti-Tesla.

Just a point on the logic bit with the GM bailout since you noted it. GOP made anti-Tesla statements, hence stating they were anti-Tesla is a direct association. GOP was anti-bailout, so it'd be fair to say they were anti-bailout. It'd be inaccurate to take an anti-bailout stance, then associate that with GM, then associate that with ICE (Wikipedia says this is named, rather blandly, an association fallacy).

Last edited:
As the recent fillibuster proved, there is a lot diversity within the "right-wing" in the US. Not all "right-wingers" are conservative and not all conservatives are "right-wingers". I think you'll find a difference between "right-wing" and "conservative". The Tesla is conservative in the fact that it is efficient and simple in it's beauty.

Some of us are anti-ev, pro Tesla. No one should be subjected to life in a Prius or Leaf just because they will save the planet. They are hideous cars. The Tesla is a beautiful car with a unique drive train and proves there are other options to the ICE paradigm.

There are some of us who beleive in energy diversity and Tesla is an important part of that vision. EV's aren't the answer to all transportation problems. Semi's will require some other solution than electric drive, but each diversification makes strategic sense and takes all of our eggs out of the refined oil basket. That's the primary reason I decided to buy a Neuton mower, because I got sick of spending money on gas, oil, and spark plugs to keep the mower running. The Neuton is so much more efficient, it makes sense. Just like the Tesla.

Last edited:
I know it's a "thumbs down" thread and no, I haven't had any. On the way home from the Columbus SC yesterday I got at least 6 thumbs up. Including one from a guy in an Expedition (go figure) who was SO enthusiastic he was almost touching the passenger window with his thumb and seemed almost hysterical he was so excited. I don't care who you are; that's just REALLY fun.

i see what you are saying... but for your logic to work, right-wing Republicans would have to not be hypocrites who knowingly ignore facts that do not agree with their predetermined worldview.

good luck with that....

- - - Updated - - -

No one should be subjected to life in a Prius or Leaf just because they will save the planet. They are hideous cars. The Tesla is a beautiful car.

Really? I decided to keep my 2010 Prius after I got my P85, simply because I like it so much.

I would be careful insulting Priuses (Prii?) around these parts. There are a lot of former owners and even more fans. Aside from its excellent gas mileage, it is also a wonderful commuter car with a top-notch reliability record.