Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Judging Interest: Tesla HPWC in Port Angeles

Interest in placing a Model S HPWC in Port Angeles, WA

• Yes, I would love one there and would be willing to help pay for the charger

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Yes, I would like one there, but I can't/don't want to pay for it

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • No, I'm not interested

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that there has been some discussion regarding putting an HPWC in Centralia for the Seattle -> Portland commute, but I was considering something else. I've noticed a severe lack of chargers on the Olympic Peninsula and it got me thinking about what to do about it. I was thinking that, IF there was enough interest, and IF I could find a business or some other suitable location to put it, could we put an HPWC in Port Angeles, making the park and the coast more accessible to EVs (or, at least, Model S's). So, what I'm trying to find out here is: Is anybody interested in going in on this with me? I'm not really in a place to drop the cash for the HPWC myself, but if I could get a group of people, say, 8-10 (including me) who would be willing to drop $150 - $200 each (depending on what the install cost would be), I would be willing to make the effort to see if there is someone in Port Angeles who wants to let us use their electricity (and support the EV movement). Much like the Centralia Burgerville HPC, this would be open to everyone for use. Those who helped pay for it (myself included) would simply be good samaritans looking to expand the EV charging network. If there isn't any interest in this, that's okay, too, but I thought I would gauge people's interest a bit before I took all the time of trying to find a place to put the charger.

BTW, I don't have a charger on hand, I would have to order one, but those seem to be coming in at a slightly more regular pace now, so I wouldn't think the wait time would be too long...

Please vote in the poll and PM me if you are interested in being a part of this venture...

I agree, it's kind of amazing to see how few Super Chargers Tesla has planned for the Northwest. Considering that the Seattle area is the second largest market for the S, I would think this would be one of the first area's to get Super Chargers and that we would be seeing a substantial number of them. being able to loop the peninsula would be awesome PR, kind of a no brainer if you ask me.

count us in for a couple hundred.

I would be interested in contributing if I could charge the Roadster with it. Is that possible? I don't know what the amp rating is on a HPWC. I just know Roadsters can do over 70 amps.

Are there adapters out there for this sort of thing?

Yeah, that's an issue...when I go to CA I'm more likely to take the Model S, but out towards Port Angeles, I would think my wife and I would prefer the Roadster. Tesla does not offer a way to charge the Roadster with an HPWC.

A J1772 unit can charge both; but costs considerably more, and then the unit we paid for could also be in use for very long periods of time by a slower-charging vehicle like a Leaf or Volt.

I've asked Tesla for hints on what they might offer in the future so we can figure out the best way to handle this sort of thing (upgrade the inlet on the Roadster?), but of course they won't say anything. Frustrating.

Last edited:
I would be interested in contributing if I could charge the Roadster with it. Is that possible? I don't know what the amp rating is on a HPWC. I just know Roadsters can do over 70 amps.

Are there adapters out there for this sort of thing?

Why do you think Roadsters can do over 70amps? For awhile, they were throwing a fault when encountering anything over 70amp (instead of dialing down to the correct amperage). Has something changed?

Hmm...I had given the roadster a thought, but given the difficulty getting roadster HPC to Model S adapters, I thought the Model S charger more prudent...but I don't want to exclude roadsters! So, the way I see it, there are two options (if we want to continue down this route):

1) get a non-Tesla J1772 charger that could supply 70 amps on 240 volts (I have no idea how much this would cost...links to chargers anyone??)

2) get BOTH a roadster HPC and a Model S HPWC...

I'm not sure which of these options is cheaper...any further comments would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to make this happen (I have contacted a few companies via email and have yet to hear anything back...if anyone has suggestions for where they would like said charger(s), those would also be appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Just looked into Clipper Creek...they have a similar charger to the HPWC (240V, 100A circuit, 240V, 80A continuous) for $2200. $1000 more than Tesla's HPWC, but it has a J1772 connector...so that could be an option...

Hmm...I had given the roadster a thought, but given the difficulty getting roadster HPC to Model S adapters, I thought the Model S charger more prudent...but I don't want to exclude roadsters! So, the way I see it, there are two options (if we want to continue down this route):

1) get a non-Tesla J1772 charger that could supply 70 amps on 240 volts (I have no idea how much this would cost...links to chargers anyone??)

2) get BOTH a roadster HPC and a Model S HPWC...

I'm not sure which of these options is cheaper...any further comments would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to make this happen (I have contacted a few companies via email and have yet to hear anything back...if anyone has suggestions for where they would like said charger(s), those would also be appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Just looked into Clipper Creek...they have a similar charger to the HPWC (240V, 100A circuit, 240V, 80A continuous) for $2200. $1000 more than Tesla's HPWC, but it has a J1772 connector...so that could be an option...

I just got word that my Roadster HPC/Model S adapter came in today. I ordered it in December. Since there was a big need in Centralia I am dedicating it to that location and ordering another for myself. I'm hoping that the wait is shorter this time.

Port Angeles is a great location. It is a gateway to a some of the most beautiful road trips in the world. It would be great if a charger could be near the ferry dock for trips to Victoria and Vancouver Island. It is only a block away from Hwy 101 and it is near the Red Lion as well.

I just got word that my Roadster HPC/Model S adapter came in today. I ordered it in December. Since there was a big need in Centralia I am dedicating it to that location and ordering another for myself. I'm hoping that the wait is shorter this time.

Port Angeles is a great location. It is a gateway to a some of the most beautiful road trips in the world. It would be great if a charger could be near the ferry dock for trips to Victoria and Vancouver Island. It is only a block away from Hwy 101 and it is near the Red Lion as well.

Donating an adapter is very generous of you! This will certainly help in the North/South commute!

I'll take a look at contacting the ferry terminal folks about putting a charger in around there. I've contacted the Red Lion, but no response as of yet (I may have to start making phone calls or appearances...maybe email won't work for this kind of thing??)

Donating an adapter is very generous of you! This will certainly help in the North/South commute!

I'll take a look at contacting the ferry terminal folks about putting a charger in around there. I've contacted the Red Lion, but no response as of yet (I may have to start making phone calls or appearances...maybe email won't work for this kind of thing??)

Please check out this thread that I started because of this one: Model S to Roadster adapter

I think in person is best, email gets ignored. Maybe hit them up with some stats about how many cars are being delivered here.

I agree with Rich that meeting potential site hosts in person is best, by far. Calling is a distant second best. I rarely get anywhere by email.

On Rich's other thread, it sounds like an adapter will be available some day that allows Roadsters to charge from the Model S HPWC. Given that, I feel that the Model S community installing HPWCs in locations like Port Angeles is the best solution. Even though it means I have to buy ANOTHER adapter. Man, I'm getting a big pile of those.

[Edit: took out some musings about Centralia that I don't think were going in the right direction]

Last edited:
I agree with Rich that meeting potential site hosts in person is best, by far. Calling is a distant second best. I rarely get anywhere by email.

Good to know...looks like I'm headed to the peninsula soon!

On Rich's other thread, it sounds like an adapter will be available some day that allows Roadsters to charge from the Model S HPWC. Given that, I feel that the Model S community installing HPWCs in locations like Port Angeles is the best solution.

Makes sense. I'll continue to pursue the HPWC track. Hopefully I can find some business here in the near future who would be willing to do this.

In fact, I wonder if it's the best solution in places like Centralia. v12, donating your adapter is very generous and useful. But for not that much more money (hopefully pooled again), we could buy an HPWC. Of course, getting Burgerville to install an HPWC is going to be a lot more work than just hanging on to an adapter, so I'm not positive that's the answer. Just a thought.

If Lance at Bellevue is correct, there should be supercharger in Centralia in the future and that would make a MS HPWC unnessary at Burgerville. However, I have pledged to chip in a few bucks to v12 for his generous donation in the meantime.

The Ferry in Port Angeles is the "Black Ball Ferry Line". It isn't a Washington State Ferry so there may not be much red tape involved.

- - - Updated - - -

If Lance at Bellevue is correct, there should be supercharger in Centralia in the future and that would make a MS HPWC unnessary at Burgerville. However, I have pledged to chip in a few bucks to v12 for his generous donation in the meantime.

I chatted with Burgerville Headquarters today and got some background on the Centralia Roadster charger. You can find it in this thread: Centralia, WA Burgerville Model S to Roadster HPC adapter

They said that they had their facilities person talking with Tesla about Superchargers in Centralia but they hadn't heard anything from Tesla lately. They were not sure why.

Hello all. So, I've been working on this, and the next step is for me to head over to the peninsula and see if I can find someone who is interested in installing the charger. The original plan is Port Angeles, but as a backup, I noticed on Recargo that Wild Birds Unlimited has installed a clipper creek charger just outside Sequim...would people still be interested if they wanted to install an HPWC, as well? I guess what I'm asking is, are people only interested if the charger is located in Port Angeles, or would people be happy if it was a few miles east or west of Port Angeles?

I noticed on Recargo that Wild Birds Unlimited has installed a clipper creek charger just outside Sequim...would people still be interested if they wanted to install an HPWC, as well? I guess what I'm asking is, are people only interested if the charger is located in Port Angeles, or would people be happy if it was a few miles east or west of Port Angeles?
I would contribute $100 to a HPWC in Port Angeles, especially if it was in a good location for passing the time. I never visit Sequim except to drive through it. Or maybe to visit the animal park... which the Tesla S will never get to see since I don't want Buffalo slobber all over it!