Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All 4 Tesla superchargers in DE taken by ICE vehicles.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have personally driven past the DE superchargers a few times and have seen one or two ICE vehicles taking up the Tesla supercharger spots. However, yesterday my parents took my bro back to college in DC (from NJ), and I told them to check out the superchargers at the DE rest stop. When they stopped there, they drove around looking for them and eventually found it. It was not easily noticed because all 4 spots were taken up by 4 large ICE SUVs. If I had taken my brother back instead in my S and this happened to me, I probably would have flipped. This is totally uncalled for. I know this has happened to others at the CT station too, but this is definitely a problem that needs to be solved NOW! I don't think they would appreciate it if all of us got together, drive to the DE rest stop, and we filled up every single gas station slot with a Model S, parked there, and went inside to eat for an hour. A statement needs to be made.

This isn't going to go away.
IMO a good solution to this problem is a parking meter on each stall that takes credit cards and the rate is $20 per hour.
If you don't pay you get immediately towed.
Tesla gives each Model S owner a card that makes it free.

Another solution would be to make the spots farther away so they're less desirable. I'm going to need those this weekend for a trip to Newark, DE and would be highly upset if there were folks hogging the spots.

The only thing that doesn't incur additional cost and has a chance to prevent the spots from being ICEd is locating the chargers in the absolute furthest corner of the parking lot.

People flagrantly park in metered spots and don't pay if they think they can get in and out before the meter maid arrives.

Similar behavior with EV spots, even those marked as being for EV only and in some cases local laws indicating you need to be plugged in / charging to not get fined.

If they don't think they'll get caught, they won't follow the rules.

Another solution would be to make the spots farther away so they're less desirable. I'm going to need those this weekend for a trip to Newark, DE and would be highly upset if there were folks hogging the spots.

I agree, but the electrical infrastructure is already close to the building and moving them further away would cost in terms of getting the power out there.

Are these just lazy ICE drivers, or do you think certain ICE drivers are trying to make a "statement" of some sort?

I don't think they would appreciate it if all of us got together, drive to the DE rest stop, and we filled up every single gas station slot with a Model S, parked there, and went inside to eat for an hour. A statement needs to be made.

No, but I'd block them in with the S, hook up the charger and get my charge. If they came back, I'd tell them I can't disconnect until it's done charging.

Is there signage there about unauthorized parking or use? Presumably Tesla has bought or leased that space, and that is trespassing. Call the police.

No, but I'd block them in with the S, hook up the charger and get my charge. If they came back, I'd tell them I can't disconnect until it's done charging.

Is there signage there about unauthorized parking or use? Presumably Tesla has bought or leased that space, and that is trespassing. Call the police.

I don't think the cable is long enough to reach your car unless you are in the spot.

As a MS owner, it is your space to use and no one else. You have an agreement with Elon Musk to use it any time you want as a MS owner. Part of your purchase price of your MS was unlimited use of any and all superchargers. The owner of the ICE does not have a contract/agreement to use it. Call the cops. Take a photo of the offender license plate too.

Is there signage there about unauthorized parking or use?

Yup. Picture from the East Coast Supercharger thread:

IMG_1406.jpg

I have personally driven past the DE superchargers a few times and have seen one or two ICE vehicles taking up the Tesla supercharger spots. However, yesterday my parents took my bro back to college in DC (from NJ), and I told them to check out the superchargers at the DE rest stop. When they stopped there, they drove around looking for them and eventually found it. It was not easily noticed because all 4 spots were taken up by 4 large ICE SUVs. If I had taken my brother back instead in my S and this happened to me, I probably would have flipped. This is totally uncalled for. I know this has happened to others at the CT station too, but this is definitely a problem that needs to be solved NOW! I don't think they would appreciate it if all of us got together, drive to the DE rest stop, and we filled up every single gas station slot with a Model S, parked there, and went inside to eat for an hour. A statement needs to be made.

Stupid is as stupid does! .....and blatantly RUDE. Photgraph and send to Tesla and the cops. Here in Las Vegas we also have "other" ways of dealing with such rude and arrogant behavior :)

Why don't they hire a local tow company to periodically check for non-Tesla vehicles, like they way they do for private parking lots? Owners can call the number on the sign if necessary. The risk of getting towed would discourage ICEs, I think.

Why don't they hire a local tow company to periodically check for non-Tesla vehicles, like they way they do for private parking lots? Owners can call the number on the sign if necessary. The risk of getting towed would discourage ICEs, I think.

I think it's more about PR, and not antagonizing ICE drivers more than they already are, it's listed under "diplomacy"

Blocking them in doesn't work to well either, at many of these locations there isn't a lot of space to park perpendicular to the blocking car and try to get the charging cord to reach, which was designed for just the space it serves mostly.

If the restaurants (ok calling McDonalds a restaurant is a bit of a stretch) have paging systems, a quick way to get the offending vehicle owners out to announce "NY plate xyzzy, your car is on fire in the parking lot"' that should get them moving :)

Last edited:
The auto shop where I taught for many year was next to the maintenance dept. All three of our overhead door where marked " no parking any time". Often at the end of a class, we would open the doors so students could rush to get their cars out and get to their next class, there would be some idiot parked in front of the door. Sometimes they were next door at maintenance. I could simply go next door and "educate" them. Other times they were who knows where. One time, I was fed up and told the students to jack up the car and we set it on four jack stands. I went to my next class in another part of the building. I did get scolded by the principal, but it was so worth it. My recommendation, jack stands.

Why not just leave the number of several tow companies right there with the signage and leave it to customers to give the tow company a call? I imagine the fine also lets the tow company impound the car and receive a healthy fee for services.

Why not just leave the number of several tow companies right there with the signage and leave it to customers to give the tow company a call? I imagine the fine also lets the tow company impound the car and receive a healthy fee for services.

Can Tesla do this though? I mean I guess the spots are leased, but do they have "authority" to say who can or can't park here?

Also, as mentioned before, it's probably not a good idea to start generating ill will. All it'll take is a well-connected arse to get towed and start campaigning for the removal of EV spots or legislation stating they must be far away from the main entrance or that any car can park there etc.

Anybody who parks in a 'no parking area' whether it be handicapped, Fire hydrant, loading zone, white zone, or Tesla parking only, deserves to get towed. It will take a few to get towed before the word gets around that you CANT PARK THERE! unless you belong