Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interest in "The Volt".

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Watching the commercials for the Volt durning the Olympics. Good spots. Makes me want to buy (at least look at) the Volt.

Of course those liquid-car commercials for the hydrogen BMW and the water pistol Honda spots are cool too. Alot of money spend selling cars you can't buy.

The question is, at what price do these 33,000 buy? If it were on the market today at $35,000, I think I'd bite. The word is it'll be $40,000 as it stands and I think I'd bite too. But something tells me that 33,000 just dropped to about 5,000.

DL did make it sound like the total range of the Volt was 40 miles. He didn't mention the extended range.

Some of the prelim Volt ads didn't talk about the range extender either. Like this "up to 40 miles without a drop of gas" spot:

GM seemed to be trying to portray it as an EV with an "emergency generator" (to help out for those "rare" times you don't have a chance to plug it in). Sort of a squishy spot to be in trying to convince you it is an EV not a hybrid, but the EV only range falls well short of dedicated EVs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps if we’d hired Drew Barrymore to be the spokesperson for the vehicle we’d have commanded more of his attention.
Bob, you just don't get it. Elon got Dave's attention by simply making a great car. In fact he bought one.

Dave may drive more than 40 miles a day on his commute from the palatial Connecticut estate,...
Which is why he takes his Tesla. It can fly 5+ times further on a charge than the Volt.

I have a swan that would be a hit!
Didn't you just use the word "palatial" to describe Dave's home? Who has swans?

That really got us, if you will, charged up.
But only enough to go 40 miles...

Haha, I like how they praise how quiet it is and then:

Tony Posawatz, who is what GM calls vehicle line director for Volt, says the car will have some type of noisemaker to alert blind pedestrians crossing at intersections of Volt's presence.

I hope the Model S won't have this. Chevy looks like it's getting it mostly right so far... but 40 mile range isn't to my liking... nor is the fact I'd be using gas after that