Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85kWh Quarter Mile Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nrcooled

P#8946 VIN 03225
May 22, 2012
NoVA
I figured I would post up my results from the drag strip yesterday. The best run that I had was the first run. I am the "left" lane and ran a 13.47

mirtimeslip.jpg

All subsequent runs were very close. Each run was within .04 secs of each other. The runs were done with 189 miles of rated range shown in the car (about 24kWh used to get to the strip). I had a lot of fun and drag racing the Model S is painfully simple. I tried using a couple of different techniques to get a better launch but ultimately they all resulted in pretty consistent runs.

All runs were done with traction control on.

Is reaction time included in the 13.4? If a testing house were reporting this number would they subtract that off?

Reaction time isn't factored in. You could sit at the light for 2 minutes if thou wanted to and you would still get the same time. Its all about when you break the starting light and when you cross the trap lights that gives you your time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I am planning to take my P85 to the track this spring.
My son-in-law has a Caddy CTS-V wagon and is chomping at the bit to take me down.
My question is, am I better running my Bridgestone Pole Position 19" RS970 As, or putting on my summer 21" Contis that came with my car?
I've been running the 19" Bridgestones for the Philly winter and have been very pleased with them, although I was just told by Tesla that they are "non-approved" and were rejected by them during their testing due to their poor low rolling resistance.

Anyway, assuming we do our run on a day that is mid-60s-70F, which wheels/tires should give the the biggest benefit for the quarter mile at the track?

Very cool. I'm not smart enough to figure this out, but did/can you get a 0-60 time?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Did it figure your 0-60 time?

The strip doesn't measure your 0-60 time. It only measures time to cover pre-defined distances (60 foot, 1000 foot, 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile). The 60 foot time lets you know how well you launched and got out of the hole. The 1000 foot typically lets you know how well your 2nd gear to 3rd gear shift went. 1/8 mile lets you know how well your car is pulling on the top end and the 1/4 mile gives you the results of your efforts.

I am planning to take my P85 to the track this spring.
My son-in-law has a Caddy CTS-V wagon and is chomping at the bit to take me down.
My question is, am I better running my Bridgestone Pole Position 19" RS970 As, or putting on my summer 21" Contis that came with my car?
I've been running the 19" Bridgestones for the Philly winter and have been very pleased with them, although I was just told by Tesla that they are "non-approved" and were rejected by them during their testing due to their poor low rolling resistance.

Anyway, assuming we do our run on a day that is mid-60s-70F, which wheels/tires should give the the biggest benefit for the quarter mile at the track?

A CTS-V is a very tough opponent. There was one running at the strip while I was there that was lightly modified running 11s consistently. In stock trim they are low to mid 12 cars.
As for tires/wheels, I would suggest going with the 19s. The strip is sticky (they spray VHT and prep the track) and should offset the lack of stickiness for not ruinning the summer tires. The unsprung weight of the 21s will do more harm than good and the 19s will give you a slight advantage off the line.

nice run! any videos? I find that turning creep off allows for a more aggressive launch on my P85....

My daughter got some video of the run but it isn't that great (she's 10). I will see what editing magic I can do to make it more acceptable and load it up to youtube. I made the first and second runs of the day with creep off. Ironically, I got my best and worst times with creep off. With creep on I was dead consistent. I felt I got the hardest launch using the two foot technique. One foot on the brake and one on the accelorator. As soon as the last yellow light came on I took my left foot off of the brake and she jumped out the hole like a scalded cat. There was a bit of tire squeal and shimmy but she really jumped out the hole.

Do you think your lighter wheels had any effect in lowering the times?

I would like to think so but since I didn't do any before and after runs I couldn't be positive of if it factored in and, if so, how much.

Just a couple more notes on the runs. My worst 1/4 mile time was my fastest trap speed. I got a 13.516 @ 108.1 mph. On my fastest run of the day 13.478 I only trapped at 104.7 mph. Every single run was within .04 seconds so my assumption is that the car runs what it runs and since there is no shifting involved with the MS there isn't really many places to get a faster time. I would venture to guess that most of the performance difference with the MS is based in the weather and SOC of the battery. Since I had burned off ~24kWh prior to running I may have lost some power due to the SOC.

Maybe next time I will use their 60A service they have at the track to top off and see if it has any effect on the performance.

Since I had burned off ~24kWh prior to running I may have lost some power due to the SOC.

Maybe next time I will use their 60A service they have at the track to top off and see if it has any effect on the performance.
It should help, especially when near 100% SOC, since that gives you peak battery voltage. All of the best track times done by Teslas (Roadster and Model S) are when they are topped off.

Very interesting post. Would love to see/hear more of these. Never in my wildest dreams could I have ever imagined owning a car where someone would consider doing this. There's a woman in our town who's had a Karma for a while. I don't really know her that well but I guess the word is she wants to race my P85. I probably wont do it, unless I keep hearing taunting. The word is her car has spent more time on a flatbed than in her garage. I wonder why she even wants to bother. Wouldn't you think that just about anyone could crush a Karma in a P85?

Very interesting post. Would love to see/hear more of these. Never in my wildest dreams could I have ever imagined owning a car where someone would consider doing this. There's a woman in our town who's had a Karma for a while. I don't really know her that well but I guess the word is she wants to race my P85. I probably wont do it, unless I keep hearing taunting. The word is her car has spent more time on a flatbed than in her garage. I wonder why she even wants to bother. Wouldn't you think that just about anyone could crush a Karma in a P85?

Yep. It would be not contest. The P85 is at least 2 seconds quicker.

Good luck! The CTS-V is a surprisingly good track car. Last time I was at the track I was chasing my friend in his M3, and on the back straight this CTS-V blasted past both of us like we were sitting still. I could barely keep up with it in the corners, and not at all on the straights. Couldn't believe it was a Caddy not an AMG.