Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Monitor Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting a "Tire Pressure Monitor Service Required" warning, have others had this problem? The tire pressures are good according to the screen and a tire gauge. The tires have been on the car for at least 5 or 6 months. I did plug one of the tires a couple months ago but the problem just started today.

i have to get my 2.0 roadster serviced approximately once a month to deal with intermittent TPMS errors. very frustrating.

i have been told by a knowledgeable tesla employee that there are no problems with the 1.5 TPMS systems.

(apparently the earlier models have the race version of the TPMS system which was then swapped for the consumer (or mass production) version in the later ones.)

anyone know if it is possible to retrofit the 1.5 roadster TPMS system to a later roadster?

Mine will go off once in awhile and then go away - it's always complaining that the TPMS needs servicing.

i have to get my 2.0 roadster serviced approximately once a month to deal with intermittent TPMS errors. very frustrating.

i have been told by a knowledgeable tesla employee that there are no problems with the 1.5 TPMS systems.

(apparently the earlier models have the race version of the TPMS system which was then swapped for the consumer (or mass production) version in the later ones.)

anyone know if it is possible to retrofit the 1.5 roadster TPMS system to a later roadster?

I have a 1.5 and never had any issue with my TPMS. I suspect there's something else going on. I'd double check the pickups and if you had any tires changed out, possibly the sensor in the rim got damaged by the tire changer.

tesla has replaced sensors and antennas multiple times on my 2.0.

the TPMS system on the 1.5 is different than that used on the 2.0/2.5. the 1.5 TPMS is (generally reported to be) reliable. the 2.0/2.5 is not. they are both built by the same company.

I (like most others with 2.x cars) have had problems with TPMS twice in the past. Both times the rangers swapped the rear antenna (the last time, I could even clearly see this using OVMS - the front sensors were showing but rear were blank). It has been trouble-free for about a year now, so I would say it is resolvable.

tesla has replaced sensors and antennas multiple times on my 2.0.

The TPMS system on the 1.5 is different than that used on the 2.0/2.5. the 1.5 TPMS is (generally reported to be) reliable. the 2.0/2.5 is not. they are both built by the same company.

The TPMS on 1.5 is not manufactured by the same company as that on the 2.0 and 2.5 vehicles. The TPMS on 1.5 does seem to be highly reliable, whereas that on 2.0/2.5 appears not to be.

I also believe that the TPMS on 1.5 provides you with readings from the moment the car's ignition is switched on, whereas the later TPMS relies on the car driving. The earlier system also allowed you to swap wheels around and fit new sensors, without the need to take it to a service centre, as it would auto detect these changes and deal with it.

I recently had service done on my 2.0 roadster that required the removal of all of my wheels from the car. Since then my OVMS screen is showing correct pressures but weird temperatures. At first all of them were around 87-92 degrees even when it showed the ambient temp to be 67 and PEM, motor, and battery in the 67-70 range. Yesterday one of the tires now shows 50 degrees while the other three are still at 87-90 degrees, (ambient is currently 64). Any thoughts about what is going on here? I'm pretty sure the OVMS is just reporting what the computer thinks is going on.
thanks
michael