Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you rent out your Model S, or rent a Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious if anyone has considered listing their Model S cars on a car sharing website such as RelayRides, Getaround, or elsewhere; or alternatively, if you have considered renting the Model S from a fellow owner. (Note: as of the date of this post, RelayRides does not accept the Tesla Model S. Getaround does.)

If so, what do you think the market clearing price would be for renting a Model S by the hour, day, week, etc.? And, would you imagine a lot of demand in your locale?

I'll be a hypocrite?

I would never rent out mine. Period.

But I would love to rent one! I am in California next week and will drive a GAS GUZZLER for an entire week! I am going to miss my S!

Price point? I'd pay, probably $1,000 a week for one.

I'd never rent out any of my cars, because I take very good care of my stuff and I don't expect others to be as careful, even if they have the best intentions. However, I'd love to rent an S when I travel. Haven't thought about what the price would be... it would have to take into account the cost of the car as well as an accelerated depreciation schedule based on (a) more miles and (b) less-careful treatment than what a single owner would put on it.

I would let someone I barely know borrow my Prius - just drop by my house and mention that you read this message on TMC and I'll give you the key(fob).
But there is no way I would let anyone but a close friend drive my Model S.

I would also be willing to pay a huge premium to rent a Model S when on vacation so I don't have to drive an ICE.

I would love to rent a MS next time I visit the US on vacation. Usually I like to drive around Los Angeles, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Death Valley .... I guess SCs would not be much of an issue.

From what I read here so far - tough luck. If anyone here changes her mind, let me know.

OTOH I do not think I would let anyone drive my S here in Germany.

All very interesting responses thus far.

I am the opposite: I would not mind renting out my Model S, but am not as interested in renting one for myself. The law of supply and demand seems to be in my favor. :biggrin:

Since none of the car sharing websites seem to offer renting out a Model S (except Getaround, which is limited to San Francisco), and since they take 40% to cover insurance and overhead, I could hypothetically see it working like this:
  1. minimum 2 day (at daily rate) or maximum 2 week (at discounted weekly rate) rental
  2. ironclad contract
  3. Only open to other Tesla Roadster or Model S owners. This significantly limits the pool, but it also means that those who rent will actually know what they are getting into.
  4. The agreement includes an automatic lien or other security interest on the renter's Tesla vehicle if there is damage to the Model S and the insurer fails to pay up in a timely manner. This significantly reduces risk, as then it's much more likely that the renter will treat my car just as well as his or her car.
  5. Battery would be guaranteed to be at least 1/2 charged on rental, but battery needs to be fully recharged (within 15 mile margin) when the car comes back. There are several free Level 2 chargers in my area, and I am within 15 miles of a Supercharger station. So this is less about cost than about time.

I hesitate to quote any ballpark prices. Obviously, insurance is a significant factor, as are the features of the Model S. Mine, when built, will be closer to the high-end.

I'm considering it, but the 40% Getaround takes as their cut seems a little steep.

I'm wondering if they cut some special deal with the owner of the one in San Francisco for publicity purposes. For $25/hour, that means the owner is only getting $15 an hour? That will barely cover electrons, tires and depreciation.

I would let someone I barely know borrow my Prius - just drop by my house and mention that you read this message on TMC and I'll give you the key(fob).
But there is no way I would let anyone but a close friend drive my Model S.

I would also be willing to pay a huge premium to rent a Model S when on vacation so I don't have to drive an ICE.

Would be hard to part with it, but a great way to get others to experience the MS. Check out your two cars - definitely fan favorites, the Model S and Prius, prominently showcased on the title (and photo) "tour" page of their website:
http://www.getaround.com/tour

When the SC-network is up and running, I would like to rent a Model S and drive New York to San Francisco. It would be an exciting adventure. :) I assume it would be a pricey rental, but on the other hand, free electricity!

I will probably never buy a Model S, as I value AWD and tow hitch too highly, but this way I could "own" a Model S for a while at least.