Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owner Takes Delivery of P16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for posting that.

Too bad so many of the photos are blurry.
The factory sticker still lists the stereo as 'Blaupunkt', but you can see there is a JVC Bluetooth adapter box in the trunk.

Great video. Well, not Spielberg, but fun to watch. Love the sound of the car. I don't think I've heard it so clearly in other videos.

It was also amusing to watch the tach and the speedometer synchronized. To me the video really illustrated the waste of dash space, although I understand why Tesla ended up with it. There are other threads about that, so I won't belabor the point.

I noticed he said there are 7,500 Li-Ion batteries. I'm sure that was a mistake - which I find odd for a "founder". But I'm not so sure that calling it "F16" rather than "P16" was accidental.

That last picture has some good info. We now know the official kwh/100 miles: 32/33. That seems a little low (well, actually high) in comparison to the Rav4 EV, which is rated 27/34. The only possible explanation is that the Roadster uses the more demanding testing methodology that the EPA started last year, but I doubt that because I read somewhere (I don't remember where, but I think it was a Tesla employee who said it) that the Roadster uses the old testing methodology still. Besides, the difference between the auto-reviewers' (and Eberhard's) range results is so vastly different from the EPA rating that I think they are still using the old methodology. I've read the mpg results from many other auto-reviewers and their numbers are usually very close to the new EPA ratings, so I thionk the reason why the reviewers are so off this time is because the EPA is still rating the Roadster with its old methodology. Ugh...this is long.

By the way, does anyone know if the inflatable lumbar support is new, or has it always been part of the car?

Last edited:
I am pretty sure that the EPA run is the new 2008 version.

The lumbar has always been there. Martin showed us a picture of his squeeze ball. :confused:

I noticed under the" Government Safety Ratings" scetion it says, "This vehicle has not been rated by the government for frontal crash, side crash or rollover risk."

So the NHSTA didn't get a copy of those crash pictures? :rolleyes:

Seems like the rollover test would be a no brainer.

By many accounts, the Acura NSX was inspired by the F-16.

93sb-rear.jpg

By the way, I looked at an NSX in 1996 and got scared away when a mechanic told me the price to have the valves adjusted every 15K miles. I guess in later years they reduced the frequency of that service interval, but still a hassle. With Tesla no valve adjustments ever!

Last edited: