Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mt. Evans (Colorado) Road Rally Set for June 8, 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Located in the front range West of Denver, Mt. Evans Scenic Byway is the highest paved road in North America begging to be assaulted by Tesla’s Model S owners. With the introduction of this awesome vehicle, I am organizing a Model S Road Rally for Saturday June 8, 2013 from Idaho Springs, CO (35 miles west of Denver) to the summit of Mt. Evans and back. The views along the highway are breathtaking, as is the elevation, which summits 14,256 feet above sea level. The spring flowers should be in bloom, as will be an abundance of wildlife, such as Mountain Goats and Bighorn Sheep.

We need to meet up around 9:30 a.m. on Saturday, June 8th, at the Clear Creek County Middle School parking lot toward the west end of Idaho Springs. This location is South of I-70 at Exit 240. Take the exit; turn South on Highway 103 toward Mt. Evans, and the Middle School driveway is a few hundred feet ahead on the right-hand side immediately past the Ranger Station and Visitor’s Center.

Please RSVP to Dennis Driscoll at [email protected] (I just need to give the Park Service an estimate of the number of cars to anticipate)

Here is a flyer about the event with some pretty awesome photos, too.

http://www.esion.com/Files/Mt_Evans_Road_Rally.pdf

See you in June, Dennis

(Mod: please pin to top until after June 8, 2013 - thanks)

FYI - if anyone is planning to join us June 8 and needs to know where there might be a place to grab some electrons, there is an RV park just a mile from the start area for the event. Plus, if anyone learns of additional charging options, please post the information and/or email me ([email protected]) and I will compile a list of options for distribution before or at the event.

Idaho Spings RV Park: Cottonwood RV Colorado - RV Camping in the heart of the Colorado Rockies

I've been really surprised at how hard it is to find a hotel in Denver with EV charging. The Element has 120v which really isn't going to work if I want to bum around. I'm planning on staying the entire weekend.

Does anyone know if there is EV charging at the Airport? Maybe I could find a hotel near by to stay at.

Or if anyone else knows of any other hotels. Note: they need to allow pets. I'm bringing my Corgi to keep me company.

Thanks

I've been really surprised at how hard it is to find a hotel in Denver with EV charging. The Element has 120v which really isn't going to work if I want to bum around. I'm planning on staying the entire weekend.

Does anyone know if there is EV charging at the Airport? Maybe I could find a hotel near by to stay at.

Or if anyone else knows of any other hotels. Note: they need to allow pets. I'm bringing my Corgi to keep me company.

Thanks

Yeah. I have worked out the charging issue in Denver. Staying at the Element and charging at Tesla overnight. They have this Birthday rate that is really interesting. First nigh5 $109, second and third night cost the same as your Birth Year.

Almost done two more night stays to reserve. This takes quite a bit of planning. Can't wait till there are super chargers and I don't have to do all this coordinating.

Thanks

Liz, stay near Park Meadows and charge at the store. 70A Roadster charger last I checked. You just have to call them first so they can bring out the adapter. The charger is near the main entrance in the parking garage. The Element, Marriott and the Inverness are all within 2 miles of the store. Go to a good, leisurely dinner at Park Meadows and be charged up by the time you're done.

Ok. In preparation for the Great Assault on Mt Evans, I need some help. Can anyone tell me how much charge it will take to get from Denver (near the Tesla store) to Idaho Springs. Most importantly I need to know if I will have to charge near Idaho Springs before attempting the Assault or if I will have enough charge (assuming max charge) when I arrive from Denver.

Thanks,
Liz

It is 52 miles to Idaho Springs from where I am, near Park Meadows, and I am estimating 360 watts/mile based on my past experience. The climb up Mt. Evans will probably peak at something like 900 wpm based my experience with climbing Berthoud Pass. It's about 30 miles or so from Idaho Springs to the top of Mt. Evans, I think. So, if you have an 85, the trip up will probably take a little more than half your battery capacity (about 45 kWh) on a range charge. That's my guess, anyway. Any others like to weigh in?

My back-of-the-envelope calculation says that from Park Meadows, round trip energy usage will be about 69 kWh. That's assuming a flat 350 Wh/mi for a distance of 170 miles, plus the energy needed to haul a Model S 9000' uphill at 7 miles of rated range per 1000', less the energy you get back downhill at 4 miles of rated range per 1000'.

85*350*2 + 9*7*305 - 9*4*305 = 67,735 Wh; or about 68 kWh

If the weather is good you can easily do better than 350 Wh/mi, but this suggests that an 85 will do fine and a 60 will have to start from closer to the mountain with a full range charge, or find supplemental charging somewhere along the way.