Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Model X Timeline - From Prototype to Production

Blog Entries

Model X Timeline - From Prototype to Production

I thought I'd start a thread where we can start capturing the rumors and facts regarding Model X dates. From today's SEC Form 10-K / Annual Report (emphasis mine):

We are adapting the platform architecture of the Model S to develop our Model X crossover. We revealed a prototype of Model X in
    February 2012 and plan to begin production in late 2014. This unique vehicle has been designed to fill the niche between the roominess of a
    minivan and the style of an SUV, while having high performance features such as a dual motor all-wheel drive system.
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

I could swear 2015 was mentioned in the Norway talk. Maybe that jives though with beginning production in 2014, but actually delivering in 2015. I'm not sure what the legal definition is for "production", perhaps building crash test cars suffices.

Model X #1417
    LATE 2014!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckessel View Post
    I could swear 2015 was mentioned in the Norway talk. Maybe that jives though with beginning production in 2014, but actually delivering in 2015. I'm not sure what the legal definition is for "production", perhaps building crash test cars suffices.
    Yes, he definitely said 2015 in the Norway talk. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they've eased off the pace on engineering a little, to help bring the company to profitability. Or maybe just to keep their people from going insane...
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

Yes Elon did mention 2015 but I believe (hope) that he was referring to the availability of the Model X in Europe not the US. Just like the Model S. Available in the US in 2012 but not in Europe until 2013.

Might need that long to scrounge up $90k.

The lic plates were $58.00, a bargain!

Wow, pushed back again. Hopefully they get it right, but what's that mean for g3? 2016-17?

Quote Originally Posted by aronth5 View Post
    Yes Elon did mention 2015 but I believe (hope) that he was referring to the availability of the Model X in Europe not the US. Just like the Model S. Available in the US in 2012 but not in Europe until 2013.
    That's how I interpreted that comment too.

I haven't read through the 10K yet. Thanks for sharing Bonnie. I don't know if I can wait that long though! Might have to get an S to tide me over.

Definitely sounds like they're pulling back a bit to make sure they get profitable. Not a bad thing, just frustrating for those of us looking forward to future products like the X and Gen III.

RsEU502,Sp+14274,XpEUSig4
    Quote Originally Posted by bonnie1194 View Post
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Good idea with the copyright wording! Hope you don't mind if I copy you on this one (seriously)

- - - Updated - - -

Both are quite a big departure from the original end of 2013 deliveries for the US....... BUt I figured this would happen so I reserved an S last fall, to hold me over until I finally get the Model X

Model X #1417
    If they aren't starting production till late 2014, it sounds like there might be a few Signature deliveries in the US at the end of 2014, but production won't really get going till 1st quarter 2015 at the earliest. For Europe, it might be late 2015 although, since Tesla will have a whole import and support system up an running in Europe by then, it might not be as big a gap as with the S.

Thread Information