Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new wheel/tire setup, and tint.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know I am opening myself up to attack, but I have just completed my baby and am open to your opinions!!!! Good or bad are welcome...
Here is how it started: 85kw 19" stock wheels

IMG_2776.JPG

After "medium" ceramic tent all around.
Wheels: front = Falken RT-7m 8.5" x 20" 38mm offset with 245/40 zr 20 Falken Azenis tires
rear = Falken RT-7m 10" x 20" 38mm offset with 275/35 zr 20 Falken Azenis tires

DSC_9234.JPG
DSC_9238.JPG
DSC_9240.JPG

There is slightly more tire noise than the 19" stock tires. The feeling has changed A LOT! Very little sidewall flex which yields a much sportier feel. IMO this is how the car should be and probably similar to the 21's but not harsh. I noticed when I hit the accelerator with the 19"s I got some tire flex and rear "float" under load. Not now. No rubbing at all!!!!!

I love it! I hope you do too!

BTW I get 300% more looks now than I did when it was stock.

John

Last edited:
You are right. Typo they are 40 series

NP. I did a calc using your front tires, and was going to question/berate you for such a huge tire size differential, from stock. (and ask some question about how well they fit, because I would be amazed if something that big actually did fit) :biggrin: Then I checked using your rears, an realized no one would do something so horrible to a Model S they purchased. And alerted you so no one else would do the same.

IMO and I'm not a race car driver, but I do own other high performance cars, the cornering is superior to factory 19"s. Little to no sidewall flex and more of a performance tread compound. Rear is less likely to swing out when cornering under acceleration. I think the car "feels" more solid than when I had the 19's.

John

IMO and I'm not a race car driver, but I do own other high performance cars, the cornering is superior to factory 19"s. Little to no sidewall flex and more of a performance tread compound. Rear is less likely to swing out when cornering under acceleration. I think the car "feels" more solid than when I had the 19's.

John

Thanks I would guess a lot of that has to do with the short sidewall on the 20's vs. the 19's and the tread compound like you mentioned. FWIW I did some googling on wider tires and found a rather good discussion here: Forzamotorsport.net Forums - Discussion: Pro's Con's of Wider Tires

Great point, and great forum recommendation. I suspect that the efficiency has suffered a bit with the wider rear tires. FWIW the stock rear tires could not handle the power and I do not have the performance model. The TC kicks in and thats when the pavement is dry. I can only imagine what happens when wet. I reset the trip meter when I got the tires and will report in the future about efficiency changes. Weight is up too. Again this car weighs over 4500 pounds and even though I increased the unsprung weight I'm not sure if that negatively effected it much.

john

I wonder if anyone will try skinner tires at some point??
Something like this could be a good blend of performance and efficiency...
MichelinPilot Super Sport in 225/45R19
(4lbs lighter than stock tires and way better tire compound/grip)

Great point, and great forum recommendation. I suspect that the efficiency has suffered a bit with the wider rear tires. FWIW the stock rear tires could not handle the power and I do not have the performance model. The TC kicks in and thats when the pavement is dry. I can only imagine what happens when wet. I reset the trip meter when I got the tires and will report in the future about efficiency changes. Weight is up too. Again this car weighs over 4500 pounds and even though I increased the unsprung weight I'm not sure if that negatively effected it much.

john

If you can wear out a pair of rear tires without shredding these flimsy rims, then I will sigh a sigh of relief!! If its gonna happen it will probably be on your watch, but seems like you would be better able to handle the situation than an average driver would. To the others running non-Tesla rims: take it easy and let johnmodels do the heavy lifting, keep *your* TC = ON.
--