Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very important for Minnesota Tesla owners!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zythryn

Custom Warming Stripes wrap.
Mar 18, 2009
Minnesota
There apparently is a hearing today at the state capital on a bill which would end up preventing Tesla from opening a store, and possibly even a service center in Minnesota.
More information at TeslaMinnesota as well as a petition.

I will post more as I get more info, I plan to attend.

You would think restraint of trade would be hard for Republicans to support. Have the Dems lost their majority in MN?? It is also 'restraint of customer service'. Is the assumption: Tesla owners would not mind being offered only 3rd party service/repair?!? Which is an oxymoron, of course.
--

You would think restraint of trade would be hard for Republicans to support. Have the Dems lost their majority in MN?? It is also 'restraint of customer service'. Is the assumption: Tesla owners would not mind being offered only 3rd party service/repair?!? Which is an oxymoron, of course.
--

Without getting to political, unfortunately all 3 sides are currently controlled by the Dems, not that I would say things were that much better with a Republican control, I just favor a split so things don't get steam rolled though by either side.

I also attended this, I'm sure Zythryn is putting together something more detailed so here is a quick summary.
After about 60-90 minutes of decisions and an amendment proposed that would pretty much only give Tesla an exception without doing it by name, they voted. The amendment passed 7/6, I think but the bill itself failed to pass and did not leave the committee. This is a first good step but there is also a bill in the house that will do much the same.

Without getting to political, unfortunately all 3 sides are currently controlled by the Dems, not that I would say things were that much better with a Republican control, I just favor a split so things don't get steam rolled though by either side.

I also attended this, I'm sure Zythryn is putting together something more detailed so here is a quick summary.
After about 60-90 minutes of decisions and an amendment proposed that would pretty much only give Tesla an exception without doing it by name, they voted. The amendment passed 7/6, I think but the bill itself failed to pass and did not leave the committee. This is a first good step but there is also a bill in the house that will do much the same.

Thanks again Raptor for being there! Another Model S owner joined us as well. It was a fascinating experience.
The original suggested bill was pretty much targeted at Tesla. The proponents pretty much started their testimony by using Tesla as an example and attempted to tell the committee what to expect to hear from Tesla.

Their position is that the current law is ambiguous and that Tesla shouldn't be able to open dealerships/stores NOR service centers in Minnesota. Their bill would, in their words, clarify the original bill.
However, the way it is written, it basically outlaws any auto company from using any business model other than a manufacturer-franchise-customer model.

This is NOT the place of government if you ask me. Protecting consumers and enforcing business contracts? Sure, but not dictating business models that would otherwise meet all regulations and laws.

While the proposed bill didn't get out of committee, it could be resurrected, or similar wording added as another amendment? I am not positive how all that works, but until the session closes, we need to be very careful.

We really should introduce ourselves by our TMC handles, it helps!

Moderators: can you merge this thread with this one:
MADA - MN Dealers attempting to block Tesla Motors

Did anyone catch Mr. O'Connell's interview with KARE11 on the news broadcast?

I particularly liked how Senator Kiffmeyer wrote Amendment 113, which passed, but looked like a "carve-out" for special interests, as Senator Tommasoni put it. I note how much Senator Tommasoni embraced the idyllic vision of reality where everyone loves their happy, family-owned (one of five families, try breaking into the auto dealer market in MN!) dealerships, including the quaint one up in the Iron Range. I also noticed Senator Tommasoni wandering over to chat with the MADA representation afterward. I did like how Senator Westrom asked such straightforward questions like "so, as the law is today, if Tesla wants to sell without a dealership, they can, but if we pass this law, can they do business the way that they want?"

That was a blast, sign me up for the next one!

Authors of SF679 last year were as follows:

Senator James P. Metzen (DFL) District 52
Senator Kevin L. Dahle (DFL) District 20
Senator Gary H. Dahms (R) District 16
Senator Richard Cohen (DFL) District 64
Senator Vicki Jensen (DFL) District 24

Authors of HF774:

Representative Joe Atkins (DFL) District: 52B
Representative Joe Hoppe (R) District: 47B
Representative John Lesch (DFL) District: 66B
Representative Greg Davids (R) District: 28B
Representative Patti Fritz (DFL) District: 24B

Working on listening to the hearings from last March to see who supported it and who didn't:

Pro Tesla: Dibble, Carlson, Champion, Franzen, Kent, Kiffmeyer, Reinert,
Westrom.

Pro Dealer: Jensen, Miller, Osmek, Pratt, Senjem, Tomassoni, Wiger.

Last edited: