Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heater blowing cold air only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you have your air set on Outside Air, or Recirc? I had the same issue tonight, I put it on HI and could get nothing but tepid air...but as soon as I switched it to Recirc instead of Outside Air (which I have it normally set on to reduce fogging), it was able to seriously crank out heat, making the entire cabin quite hot. Note: do not do this when low on range!

Mine too was intermittent. Some days it works, some days it only blows cold. I had a ranger visit and it happened to be working when he was there. He said there were no error messages logged, so he couldn't diagnose the problem. The next day, I called the service number while I was inside the car and it was blowing cold air, and they discovered some error codes from a something-or-other-module-with-3-words-in-the-name. Apparently these codes aren't logged anywhere, but they said to bring it in. He implied that parts would be ordered from California. So my car is currently in Rockville being examined. Free loaner car, of course (no, not a Roadster :-/ Just some car from the Enterprise around the corner).

Mine too was intermittent. Some days it works, some days it only blows cold. I had a ranger visit and it happened to be working when he was there. He said there were no error messages logged, so he couldn't diagnose the problem. The next day, I called the service number while I was inside the car and it was blowing cold air, and they discovered some error codes from a something-or-other-module-with-3-words-in-the-name. Apparently these codes aren't logged anywhere, but they said to bring it in. He implied that parts would be ordered from California. So my car is currently in Rockville being examined. Free loaner car, of course (no, not a Roadster :-/ Just some car from the Enterprise around the corner).

Please let us know what they fixed when you'll get your car back.

Took it in today, its a faulty sensor on the heating coil that regulates how hot it needs to get according to what temperature you set. As a safety measure (which is great) if the sensor malfunctions it prevents the coil from heating up so we don't have any thermal meltdowns. Jason at the Tigard service center is having the part overnighted from Cali & Seattle (whichever one gets there fastest) so we can be on the road tomorrow afternoon. He is awesome!

Do you know if they can check the sensors without disassembling anything (ex. remotely)?

They can observe the error codes if you call while you're in the car AND it's malfunctioning (blowing cold air). If you call while the car is working properly, then there is no error code to see (nothing is persistently logged). Mine was working intermittently, and my during my ranger visit, was working properly (Thanks, Murphy!). So call the toll-free number while it's acting up.

That said, they can see error codes, but they may or may not definitely know it to be the sensor itself. Could be something else wrong, which generates the same error code symptoms. I don't know for sure.