Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leather Pretreatment- Paging Artsci

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only regret I have about my Model S is getting the tan leather. It looks great but it is really a light shade and will not hide even a minor smudge. Are there any scotch guard equivalent products for leather interiors? I read the thread on leather care and I purchased the products recommended by Artsci, but these seem mainly for cleaning after a stain. The alantra side bolsters and headliner also seem to pose unique cleaning issues. Thoughts?

The only regret I have about my Model S is getting the tan leather. It looks great but it is really a light shade and will not hide even a minor smudge. Are there any scotch guard equivalent products for leather interiors? I read the thread on leather care and I purchased the products recommended by Artsci, but these seem mainly for cleaning after a stain. The alantra side bolsters and headliner also seem to pose unique cleaning issues. Thoughts?

Let me check with my sources at Townsend Leather. As soon as I know something worthwhile I'll post it. Which of their products did you buy and use to try to remove dirt and smudges? The cleaner for finished leather looks to be designed for normal cleaning and it's not included in the leather care kit I recommended. Townsend works with the Leather Institute to develop these products.

Last edited:
I'll be talking about this with someone at the Leather Institute tomorrow, so I should have some good info and advice then.

Just got off the phone with senior man at the Leather Institute. He told me that automotive leather has two finishes: color and clear coat. Likely any difficult-to-remove stains or smudges are due to dye transfer from clothes -- this can happen with jeans, belts, skirts, and any other fabric or material with a dye that hasn't been properly finished. The dye just transfers to the leather clear coat surface. It's often difficult to remove.

To remove these kinds of stains and smudges he recommends very carefully rubbing the surface with a 3M Scotch-Brite White cleansing pad. The pad is mildly abrasive, so that's why great care is needed.

As for protective sprays such as ScotchGaurd he says that some manufacturers already coat their leather with it. He wasn't sure about Tesla, but thinks probably not. But he said not to spray it on the Tesla seats as the chemical interactions are unknown with Tesla's leather finish. He also said that the Leather Institute will in a few months be offering a protectant for this purpose. They also sell rub-in colors in many shades and even custom-match a color. These may be perfect for those having issues with premature wear of the side bolsters.

The Leather Institute sells a ton of leather car products. I highly recommend them as a source for your leather care products. Go here to see them all.

Last edited:
FWIW, here's what the Model S Owners Guide says:

Leather is prone to dye-transfer which can cause discoloration, particularly
on light colored leather. White and tan leather is coated with an antisoiling
treatment. Wipe spills as soon as possible using a soft cloth
moistened with warm water and non-detergent soap. Wipe gently in a
circular motion. Then wipe dry using a soft, lint-free cloth. Using detergents
or commercially available leather cleaners and conditioners is not
recommended because they can discolor or dry out the leather.