Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC outdoor install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me, it would make a bit more sense (at least in theory) to have a HPWC outside. Is that possible/are they weatherproof?

I was told absolutely yes -- it can withstand a hurricane. You'll want to make sure you have a good electrician do the install, because the sturdiness is only as good as the installation. The cord is unbelievably thick and can probably handle any sort of weather.

I was told absolutely yes -- it can withstand a hurricane. You'll want to make sure you have a good electrician do the install, because the sturdiness is only as good as the installation. The cord is unbelievably thick and can probably handle any sort of weather.
Nobody had one installed when Sandy hit, AFAIK. Would have been a great test...

The unit body is made of similar plastic (ABS) to that of which weatherproof electrical boxes are made of, and is also covered by a rubber material layer. In addition the cover is gasketed to prevent water intrusion, again as outdoor electrical enclosures are. Finally, the cable fitting appears to be of the water-tight variety.

Hmm... after writing all of that, I decided to go look at my manual... sure enough it's rated as a NEMA Type 3R enclosure, which is rated for indoor or outdoor use.

The primary installation concern would most likely be ensuring a weather-resistant connection to your source electrical circuit. You have to drill a hole for a 1" conduit connector. You would want to select and install an appropriate rated connector there to ensure the integrity of the enclosure.

I've had my HPWC installed outside for almost a year, and it's been totally fine...I didn't have any other place to put it (no garage) so it had to go on the side of our work studio, so I checked extensively with Tesla and many people at Tesla assured me that it could be installed outside. And I don't have any kind of shelter/protection around it, it's fully exposed to the elements. Go for it, you should be fine.

Here is one along with a CS-100 that's been outside since August. They've been through lot's of rain and a snowstorm and haven't had any problems yet.
2 Charging stations.jpg

Are you guys burying the wire from the post to the panel? Is it as simple as cutting a hole and running the wire? Is there a minimum depth?

Minimum depth is as per local electrical code. My wire is in 1 1/4" conduit ( 1" would have done) buried 2 feet. I already had 100A service in the garage. I also installed a digital meter in the line so I know how many KWh I use for charging from the HPWC without depending on the car readout.

Are you guys burying the wire from the post to the panel? Is it as simple as cutting a hole and running the wire? Is there a minimum depth?

our code is this yours is probably similar:

use a proper rated cable or conduit for underground
bury 18" min, so go 24" depth, unless you're crossing a roadway, then bury 5 feet
cover the cable in trench with sand minimum 6" around all sides
if you're trenching along with other services put a 2x6 pressure treated plank between the services

our code is this yours is probably similar:

use a proper rated cable or conduit for underground
bury 18" min, so go 24" depth, unless you're crossing a roadway, then bury 5 feet
cover the cable in trench with sand minimum 6" around all sides
if you're trenching along with other services put a 2x6 pressure treated plank between the services

Separation from medium Voltage distribution lines is 2 feet in my area, but that is usually not a problem because those have to be at least 4 feet underground. Always do a utility locate (usually free), and when backfilling, put some construction plastic, yellow, warning tape 6-12 inches above your conduit to make it easier for future generations to miss. Utility locates will not always find private runs.

Because most of the cost is in the trenching, I always use conduit, and go up a size or two from the minimum. The larger conduit will make for easier pulls and will allow for future upgrades. For example, the HPWC has a knockout for 1" conduit. Do most of the run in 1.5" conduit and neck down to 1" in a junction box near the HPWC. It seems obvious, but make sure the bends are done with sweeps and not elbows. I once had a contractor (not an electrical contractor) put in elbows. He paid for the retrofit to sweeps, but it made for an extra delay, and more muddy holes.