Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate control - wrong int. temperature? Need help.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One issue I have with my Model S is with the climate module. Sometimes, the car starts to blow cold air even if it's cold outside (eg. 34F).

If I open my mobile app, I then see that the interior temperature is higher than reality. So, my theory is that my temp. sensor is not reporting the proper temperature and the car thinks it should cool down the car (see picture below).

My car was supposedly fixed by Tesla Service, but I still experience the same behaviour.

Is anyone else, experiencing something similar?

IMG_1022.PNG

Just a guess here, but I have found that my black car, parked in the sun on a very cold day can actually get warm enough inside from the sun that the a/c will come on when I get in, even when it's well below freezing outside. Could that be what's going on?

Just a guess here, but I have found that my black car, parked in the sun on a very cold day can actually get warm enough inside from the sun that the a/c will come on when I get in, even when it's well below freezing outside. Could that be what's going on?

Thats what I thought at first. However, today was really cloudy and got the same issue. I will bring a thermometer in the car as I'm sure the cabin was more in the 71-72's than 77.

One thing with the Model S that leads to funny temperatures is the fan. The Auto settings (which are used by the App) dials the fan back to 1 once temperatures stabilize. This is far too low for winter conditions!

I have the exact same problem. I put the car in the garage for 3 day with the windows open, and the outside temperature given by the car and the inside temperature given by the app were about 5 C difference. The real temperature measure with another thermometer was 1 degre more than the outside measure from the car, and 4 less than the phone app.

temperature004.jpg

I also find myself disagreeing with the internal temp stated by the app. It's said 90 F at times, and it certainly didn't seem that hot when I got in. Is there a way to see what internal temp the car thinks it is, from inside the car (i.e. not just from the app)?

I placed a thermometer in the car on the center armrest. The app records a temperature 7F warmer than the actual interior temp. I haven't tried placing the thermometer in various places throughout the cabin yet. Perhaps the sensor is somewhere near a heat source and causes the erroneous reading.

I have the exact same problem. I put the car in the garage for 3 day with the windows open, and the outside temperature given by the car and the inside temperature given by the app were about 5 C difference. The real temperature measure with another thermometer was 1 degre more than the outside measure from the car, and 4 less than the phone app.

My temperature delta is also around (5C).

Last edited:
The temperature reading is not very accurate - inside and outside of the car - while the car is stopped.

There appears to be a tendency to read temperatures (significantly) higher than the actual reading, until the car has been operating for a few minutes.

While this isn't a huge problem - it does appear to bring the air conditioning on when first entering the car - even if the air temperature is cold enough to warrant heating.

Using the app to turn climate on prior to entering the car can help work around this.

Now only if the car could automatically sense that when it's raining, the vent should close on the roof...

I used to drive around in my BMW with the heat set at 18C. On my MSP, I've had it set at 25C a few times now (with the fan manually turned up to 3-4).

The car is always plenty toasty if I pre-warm the car, the temp sensor only appears to be inaccurate after the car has been driven for a while IMO.

I have taken two road trips in the MS over the last two weeks and both times the interior temperature is comfortable initially then it thinks that the car is warmer then I feel it is. Then it starts blowing cool air. This is NOT using range mode either.

This has been my biggest gripe with the car thus far is that while you can get it hot the auto mode doesn't sufficiently keep it warm. On the trips I have just turned auto off and configure it manually which does the trick most of the time.

I have taken two road trips in the MS over the last two weeks and both times the interior temperature is comfortable initially then it thinks that the car is warmer then I feel it is. Then it starts blowing cool air. This is NOT using range mode either.

This has been my biggest gripe with the car thus far is that while you can get it hot the auto mode doesn't sufficiently keep it warm. On the trips I have just turned auto off and configure it manually which does the trick most of the time.

I've had to do the same thing. For short trips, or getting the car warmed up in the morning, the auto works fine. But we definitely noticed when we were in the car for more than an hour that the temperature started to get cold. Best way we found to fix it was to tinker with the fan settings, so it's more of a "custom auto".

I've had to do the same thing. For short trips, or getting the car warmed up in the morning, the auto works fine. But we definitely noticed when we were in the car for more than an hour that the temperature started to get cold. Best way we found to fix it was to tinker with the fan settings, so it's more of a "custom auto".
Yea, same here. It's either blowing hot or cold. It doesn't seem smart enough to cut out heating/cooling all together. I'm a little disappointed, my RX8 did a better job of automated HVAC. It's not a big deal by any means, but it's a surprise.

Yea, same here. It's either blowing hot or cold. It doesn't seem smart enough to cut out heating/cooling all together. I'm a little disappointed, my RX8 did a better job of automated HVAC. It's not a big deal by any means, but it's a surprise.

I half expected this... California company. The bright side is that it's all firmware controlled, so they can improve it. I've given Tesla a list of all my firmware nits, many related to the HVAC controls. I fully expect they will fix these things.

What I do is add 5-7 degrees to whatever temperature I want and set the HVAC to that number. (Ie. for 70 I would set to 75-77).

couldn't a software update essentially do the same for us? Meaning...take the readout from the thermometer (which must be badly positioned or strangely calibrated) and just subtract 5-7 degrees and give us a new (more accurate) readout.

Sounds simple enough to me! Especially important to know the exact temp inside given how much energy the HVAC uses...

speaking of which...WHEN IS THE NEXT SOFTWARE UPDATE?!?! Would like to see this internal temp/thermometer issue fixed and also the timer for charging, vampire drain, and skip presets function for radio stations on steering wheel (rather than scanning from steering wheel)!!!

All in all, the car is very comfortable on my commute but when driving longer distances (i.e. more than 3 hours at a time) the car seems to get too cool and it won't blow warm air or just shut itself off. Instead it blows cool air when it is 34 deg F outside.

Reactions: Ulmo