Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seattle Owners: Heading up Snoqualmie Pass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you in the Seattle area.. I'm thinking about heading up to Snoqualmie Pass tomorrow. There is snow expected for tonight. Any concerns with the car's ability to get up there?

My hunch is that it shouldn't be an issue. I-90 is a major highway that isn't very steep and is well maintained in the winter... and there isn't too much snow forecast for tonight.

Yeah, it's usually OK going up there. But: it will be cold; so I wouldn't go up on the 21" summer tires. The 19" Pirellis winters are probably perfect, and the 19" all-season Eagles are probably OK. I drove my Model S through snow over the Siskiyous on Pirellis and it was just fine.

It is a mountain pass and predicting weather is tricky business. I'd take chains just in case. There's a thread on them HERE. If you don't have any and don't have time to hit a store, PM me - I'm in SW Redmond (near Idylwood Park) and you can borrow my pair for tomorrow.

Yeah, it's usually OK going up there. But: it will be cold; so I wouldn't go up on the 21" summer tires. The 19" Pirellis winters are probably perfect, and the 19" all-season Eagles are probably OK. I drove my Model S through snow over the Siskiyous on Pirellis and it was just fine.

It is a mountain pass and predicting weather is tricky business. I'd take chains just in case. There's a thread on them HERE. If you don't have any and don't have time to hit a store, PM me - I'm in SW Redmond (near Idylwood Park) and you can borrow my pair for tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice. I have the Eagles, so I'll probably give it a go. If things look really bad tomorrow I'll just (sadly) pack up the AWD ICE.

Appreciate the chain offer, but I couldn't get over there tonight. I'll make sure to pick up a set.

Thanks for the advice. I have the Eagles, so I'll probably give it a go. If things look really bad tomorrow I'll just (sadly) pack up the AWD ICE.

Appreciate the chain offer, but I couldn't get over there tonight. I'll make sure to pick up a set.

I picked up a pair of chains for the Pirellis at the Seattle service center on Wednesday, they had several in stock. I'm still not ready to take my sig-red up on the snow, even with the snow tires. too much crud that will get in the car with with the boots/etc.

As for skiing, I'll likely be up on Silver Fur (Summit Central) tomorrow morning early. If you see someone in a plaid green boarding jacket, it might be me.

-Joe

I've driven from Issaquah to the Summit to ski twice - no issues. Once was through active snow for the last 5 miles, never had any issue. I did buy the snow chains for my 19" (not from Tesla, but the exact chains they sell through Amazon). Haven't had to use the chains yet.

When I park, I do park in a way that allows me to avoid getting stuck. I have experience with rear wheel drive cars on snow, and they have always been a nightmare. Not the MS - wonderful experience so far.