Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LA to SD roundtrip 230 miles - one charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it prudent to take the MS for a one day roundtrip from LA to SD on one charge? I have to attend a funeral in San Diego and am deciding between my new MS or my reliable ICE car. I only picking up the MS from the factory in Fremont on Sunday. Thoughts?

Use the model S, but better to pick up a little charge somewhere for at least a few min. You have to eat... stop by the UTC mall where there's a Tesla store with reserved S parking. Park, go grab a bite in the food court right by the Tesla charge stations and then head on your way. If you're there for an hour you'll add close to 60 miles and be all set.
Tesla University Towne Center - San Diego, CA - Recargo

As a backup plan you're welcome to stop by my place in Solana Beach where I have an 80amp Model S unit, but UTC is much more entertaining:
Solana Beach Residence - Solana Beach, CA - Recargo

Or use the one at Fashion Island on your way back:
Tesla Fashion Island - Newport Beach, CA - Recargo

230 miles is not stress. Charge to full range. Set cruise on 60, regen on light, drive in the right lane or thereabouts, take it easy. Relax. You don't have to do 70, you get there quicker, and you'll be getting close to 300 miles per charge. You won't need air or heat this time of year. When you get to your destination and see you still have over 180 miles left, you will still have no stress. You will get there in 2 hours.

I have often driven 230+ miles in a day (13000 miles so far). The key is to take it easy, don't speed. Driving at 60 mph takes much less time than having to search out a charger and top off for an hour.

Since you'll be at a funeral, you won't need to stop on the 2 hour drive to eat or potty break. Of course, if you have plenty of time and like to wait at a charger, then fine. I would rather be home doing what I want while the S charges in the garage.

Like roblab says, you can easily make it if you drive conservatively and use a range charge. But I would have a contingency charging plan in place in case you decide you need to do some additional driving while you are in SD.

OH, I should have mentioned Claire's. She did put in chargers! She's got two Blink's right there by the patio now!

Yaa! Our big Roadster SD drive stopped at her place and broached the subject. She was worried about putting out even more cash as a new restaurant.
I talked with her about rebates, the future cars that would be coming and that she can get even more LEED credits for putting them in. Years later I'm sure Leaf and Volt owners worked on her too.

Such great news. It's a perfect fit!

Got curious and checked out Claire's website, even though I'm on the other side of the country. It says nothing about charging infrastructure... someone might want to suggest to her that she advertise that infrastructure more visibly, for her own benefit. Hopefully she's already on ChargePoint, Recargo, PlugShare, and so on...

I agree with others - while you *could* do it driving carefully and if nothing caused a detour or disruption, an hour or two of charging will make it a stress-free trip. I've been working on an "energy estimator" that accounts for average road speeds, hills, weather, etc - here is the prediction of the "beta code" for LA-SD (downtown-to-downtown, current traffic) - *should* (barely) make it at 67 mph with 85kWh battery (which has a little under 82kWh usable).

EVTripper-LA-SD-130305.jpg